UALR Functional Title
Technical Director / P98346
Information Science Department
The Technical Director provides outreach activities such as training workshops, online educational materials, and consultation on developing systems, tools, data mining and other types of analysis for bioinformatics research for students and faculty at UALR and partner institutions in Arkansas and surrounding states. This is a full-time, grant-funded position and contingent upon continued funding
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides outreach activities such as training workshops, online educational materials, and consultation on developing systems, tools, data mining and other types of analysis for bioinformatics research for students and faculty at UALR and partner institutions in Arkansas and surrounding states.
- Provides IT support and license management for bioinformatics software, including special packages and libraries.
- Develops and grows the bioinformatics infrastructure platform consisting of Linux servers, virtual machines, windows workstations, analytic software/tools, and bio-medical databases.
- Oversees the general maintenance of the instructional and laboratory resources for the Bioinformatics program.
- Maintains and update the Bioinformatics website.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possess strong interpersonal and training skills.
- Possess general IT experience and project management experience.
- Knowledge and a good understanding of server/network technical support.
- Previous experience with using analytic packages, tools, or languages such as Perl, Python, SQL , or R statistical analysis.
Required Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information science, engineering, engineering technology, or a closely related field.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
Master’s Degree; Experience in developing and delivering technical workshops;Familiarity with bioinformatics software packages and databases; System administrator experience, particularly in working in the Linux environment.
Background Check Requirements
00 - Criminal Only
Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds: Frequently, Medium Work - Exerting 20-50 pounds: Occasionally, Kneeling: Occasionally, Climbing (Stairs, Ladders, etc.): Occasionally, Sitting for long periods of time: Frequently, Standing for long periods of time: Frequently, Speaking; Essential, Hearing: Essential, Vision: Ability to distinguish similar colors, depth perception, close vision: Essential, Walking - Short Distances: Frequently, Lifting 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Carrying 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Pushing/pulling 25-50 lbs: Occasionally
Spends approximately 75% or more time indoors
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Statement
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UALR EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. Persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
University of Arkansas at Little Rock - 10 months ago