As a Technical Director of Software Engineering you will provide a strong technical leadership and consultative role to the function as related to driving product development and strategy. As part of the Research and Development function, the overall focus of the group is on competitive market and customer requirements, technology advances, product quality, product cost and time-to-market. The Software Development function is responsible for enhancements to existing products as well as new product development.
The Technical Director for SAN Business Unit will be responsible for driving the technology strategy and Architectural direction of the BU. The candidate is expected to stay abreast of the Industry research & developing trends related to Storage in general and SAN, Virtualization & other emerging technologies in particular to conceptualize and drive the Product Architecture and Roadmaps. Working closely with the technical counterparts in other Business Units to evangelize the SAN product requirements and ensuring the delivery of complete solution to the customers is a critical to the success of this role. Successful candidate in this role will work closely with the Engineering and Management team within the Business Unit, taking on Architectural ownership, authoring Architectural Specs, Significantly influencing Design and Functional Specs, mentor technical leaders and closely collaborate with the management teams towards enabling the delivery
• Work closely with Senior leadership to develop strategies and tactics towards expanding NetApp’s leadership position in the Enterprise SAN (FCP, iSCSI & FCoE) market
• Architect (including authoring Architecture Specs) and design software and hardware solutions to meet the Enterprise Storage customers in all market sectors. Strong ability to critically analyze architectures and designs for robustness, resilience, maintainability, and supportability is essential to success.
• Work on issues that impact development success or address future concepts, products or technologies.
• Consistently provide future technical vision to the Software Development group.
• Provide leadership, guidance and mentoring to technical leadership team within the Business unit.
• Maintain affiliations and relationships with academic and industry technical experts globally and serve as external spokesperson for the company.
• Extensive System Software development experience including with critical focus on SAN protocols, SCSI subsystems and related technologies. Deep understanding of Complex Distributed Systems and Clustering technologies is a significant plus.
• A proven track record of invention and implementation of new marketable Storage Products and Technologies, with special emphasis on the delivery of high-performance and or Scalable or Distributed Systems with emphasis on Quality and RAS characteristics
• Ability to work collaboratively with other engineers and senior professionals across functions; and have strong influencing and leadership skills.
• Strong understanding of the array-based storage market including midrange and high-end enterprise arrays and entry-level integrated SAN/iSCSI solutions.
• A thorough knowledge of SCSI, FC, iSCSI, and host-storage stacks (file system, volume manager,
• Ability to develop strategic project plans and schedules for complex projects or new product developments.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential, particularly presentation skills.
Responsibility and Interaction:
• The tasks this individual is responsible for are critical to the organization's future, have wide implications, and there may be multiple outcomes.
• This individual will apply many years of expertise or unique technical/industry knowledge in
solving problems that are extremely complex given time, budget and resource constraints.
• Demonstrate leadership and vision in determining and driving strategy decisions, process changes, business initiatives, etc.
• This individual must work effectively with staff to executive levels employees within the function, across functions and outside of the organization.
• This individual is a recognized expert and exercises wide latitude in determining own objectives and approaches to critical assignments.
• Is seen as a leader or “guru by others in the function and organization.
Education and Experience
Education & Experience:
• A minimum of 15+ years of relevant technical experience in SW development & storage product development is required.
• A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, a Master Degree, or a PhD; or equivalent experience is required.
• Demonstrated ability to have completed multiple, extremely complex technical projects.
Full time / Part time
USA - North Carolina - Research Triangle Park