About Pixar Animation Studios
Pixar Animation Studios, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is an Academy Award®-winning film studio with world-renowned technical, creative and production capabilities in the art of computer animation. Creator of some of the most successful and beloved animated films of all time, including Toy Story, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, WALL•E, Up and most recently, Cars 2. The Northern California studio has won 29 Academy Awards® and its eleven films have grossed more than $6.5 billion at the worldwide box office to date. The next film release from Disney•Pixar is Monsters University (June 21, 2013).
Who Should Apply
Summary of Position
- Candidates who have strong visual skills, broad technical skills and creative problem solving ability.
- Reviews concept art, storyboards, and rough animation to plan and execute the simulations and special effects needed for a shot.
- Simulates natural phenomena by applying direct and procedural animation techniques to create a variety of effects.
- Shades, renders, and composites effects elements.
- Uses proprietary tools to implement solutions.
- Creates and communicates animation timing for effects.
- Works with production team to create the desired look for the effect.
- Works in a team environment to determine various design and technical solutions.
- Coordinates with other team members on integrating and optimizing the effects process with the balance of the production pipeline.
Reel Submission Guidelines
- Experience in film or television effects production.
- Degree in Computer Science, Visual Effects or a related area.
- Thorough knowledge of both 2D and 3D computer graphics techniques.
- Working knowledge of Houdini required.
- Shading and scripting experience required.
- Compositing experience a plus.
- UNIX/LINUX operating system experience a plus.
- C/C++ programming experience a plus.
On an Effects reel we look for a good understanding of timing, scale, weight, acceleration, and detail in the effects. Only show the work that you feel best represents your skills and highlights your strengths. Short, high quality reels are preferred over long reels with work that might not best represent your skills or aesthetic.
The most important thing for us to know when watching your reel is exactly what you did in each shot. Ideally, we would like for you to show us the elements you used to create the shot effects along with the final shot. This is especially important when showing live action. If this is not possible, then please be as detailed as you can about which effect you are responsible for and whether or not you did the final integration. If there is effects work in the shot that you are not responsible for, document this in your breakdown. If there are live action effects in the shot, make sure to point this out too. The clearer it is to us what you did and how you did it, the easier it is for us to assess your skills.
Apply online with your resume and cover letter.
Please ensure that you have agreed to the Terms at the end of the on-line application. You will not be able to continue without this affirmation. By agreeing, you are agreeing to the terms of the Submission Release.
A demo reel showing representative work is an important part of your application. Please check out the following link below for instructions on how to create a demo reel.
Once you have submitted your online application, please click on the SlideRoom link below and upload your demo reel.
SlideRoom Applicant Portal
SlideRoom Applicant Portal - First Time Users
Note: Please be sure to use the EXACT same e-mail address that you used for your online application.
- Please sign up for a SlideRoom Account in order to upload your demo reel.
Already signed up? Go ahead and login to update your submission!
Note: If, due to legalities, your demo reel is not in a digital format and you cannot submit it online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions on how to submit your material.
For tips on how to create a demo reel please click here.
For technical help with uploading your demo reel please click here.
If uploading examples of visual work to SlideRoom, please upload file in a video format (ex. mov, wmv, flv, mp4).
Due to the high volume of submissions, we're not able to provide feedback.
Please do not mail in your material to Pixar--follow the instructions above.
You will receive an email acknowledging the successful receipt of your online application. Depending on the number of applicants, we are generally able to make final hiring decisions 3-4 weeks after the posted deadline date. We will contact you directly to discuss the opportunity if we are interested.
Pixar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pixar Animation Studios keeps computer-generating hits. The company has produced about a dozen full-length animated movies, including the...