Will: Be the Technical Group Supervisor/Engineering Applications Software Engineeer for the Data Services Group (317G) and will report to the Planning and Execution Systems Section (317) Management. Will be responsible for managing a team of 10 to 15 software engineers. Will be responsible for the design, development, integration, and deployment of web services, cloud computing, databases, security, and communication standards for mission planning software systems. This includes specializing in creating high-availability, scalable systems for processing and serving mission data and maintaining critical repositories of spacecraft command sequences. Will provide technical management support for a broad variety of JPL flight projects and technology efforts. Will be responsible for complying with and improving relevant JPL software processes and standards. Will be responsible for the quality of technical work produced by members of the group and will serve on review boards and participate in peer reviews as necessary. Will solicit a broad portfolio of funding sources (including reimbursable) to support the group’s work. Will recruit and maintain a high-performance engineering group. Will own the local procedures, cost models relevant to the group’s work. Will work with the section management and other group supervisors in the continuous evolution and improvement of the Section.
Has primary management responsibility directly or through lower management levels for an organization. Responsible for hiring and retaining a diverse, highly qualified staff, and for providing career coaching, growth and personal development for direct report JPL employees (minimum of two or more FTEs). Accountable for the performance of employees or the work output of managed subcontractors. Maintains a safe working environment and a strong customer focus. Responsible for continuous process improvement, setting goals and ensuring that they are achieved. Uses best industry practices to ensure success in areas of responsibility. Ensures employee awareness and compliance with Laboratory policies, procedures, and practices, and regulatory requirements. Knows and applies appropriate tools, processes, and procedures affecting organization of responsibility.
• Typically requires a Bachelors degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related discipline with a minimum of 9 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 7 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 5 years related experience. Minimum of 2 years of lead experience.
• Knowledge in Computer Science with significant expertise in software development to support mission operations.
• Demonstrated experience in leading work groups and teams.
• Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, and concepts in data services software resulting in contributions to the development of new theories and methods.
• Has wide-ranging experience and advanced knowledge in one or more related fields of knowledge in such as web services, cloud computing, databases, security, and communication standards.
• Has complete knowledge of industry and/or academic practices and standards in the larger field of software development, including agile principles and component-based software.
• Ability to form and lead multidisciplinary design teams in resolving complex software system problems.
• Demonstrated leadership and team-building skills commensurate with a dynamic work environment.
• Ability to capture new business through collaborations with project and program offices and engineering and science communities.
• Excellent communication skills including verbal, written, and presentation.
• Thorough understanding of software design, development, integration, deployment, and support for JPL flight projects.
NOTE: THIS POSITION MAY BE CLASSIFIED AT ONE LEVEL HIGHER THAN THE POSTED LEVEL. A DETERMINATION WILL BE MADE ONCE THE FINAL CANDIDATE HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED.
• Extensive experience in all phases of the project life cycle.
• Demonstrated results in a PEM, Cog-E, or task leadership role for software development.
• Ability to attract, develop and retain high- performance members for the group.
• Ability to develop and communicate a group operating strategy based on organizational goals.
• Familiarity with AMMOS tools.
• Ability to manage and lead the planning, design, and implementation of section initiatives.
If you'd like to discover new worlds with our innovative team and enjoy a competitive salary and impressive benefits with the renowned leader in space exploration, apply now!
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer devoted to work force diversity.