Job Description Conversion
Location: Dayton/Fairborn, OH
This is a temporary, full-time position during Summer 2013.
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe—from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Ball Aerospace's Dayton, Ohio, office is near Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and across from Wright State University. This office supports several Department of Defense organizations including the National Air and Space Intelligence Center (NASIC), the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), and several Aeronautical Systems Center program offices.
Ball Aerospace is a prime contractor leading development teams at AFRL and NASIC. Dayton personnel develop advanced hardware and software systems and provide management services to solve customer problems and create new capabilities. This includes designing and developing software tools and threat models, performing extensive data analyses, and executing modeling and simulations using both internally developed and standard models.
Systems Engineering Solutions provides technical and professional services to defense, intelligence, homeland security and space science markets.
Summer Intern Program:
The Ball Aerospace Internship Program is a ten week summer program that provides candidates with:
- Practical experience on relevant aerospace and telecommunication projects while working with designated mentors
- A competitive salary
- Access to state-of-the-art equipment
- Possible future employment
- Housing assistance
- Relocation reimbursement
- In-house training
- Group activities
Over the course of a summer session, students are encouraged to participate in social and recreational activities, many of which are organized by the college relations department. Mentors and department co-workers enjoy spending time with students at many of the activities.
What You´ll Do as an Intern
What You´ll Need
- Design automation algorithms image processing of thermal hyperspectral data
- Investigate and implement techniques for multivariate optimization
- Test algorithms on remote sensing data
- Conclusion of internship requires the preparation and formal presentation of work to R&D team
- Completion of Bachelor's degree in Physics, Optical Engineering, Imaging Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- Enrollment in a Post Graduate degree program for the Fall 2013 semester
Must Have Skills
- Experience in IDL programming
- Knowledge of radiometric principles
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment
- Coursework or experience in the following areas: Electromagnetic Theory, Remote Sensing, Optimization Techniques, IDL Programming
NOTE: You are welcome to apply for more than one type of internship (for example, Mechanical Engineering, System Engineering and Electrical Engineering), however, we recommend only applying to one of these levels when submitting your resume:
Intern I = Between Sophomore and Junior year
Intern II = Between Junior and Senior year
Intern III = Has Completed at least one semester of Senior Year, but has not yet graduated
Intern IV = After Bachelor's Degree, starting or continuing graduate school
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Ball Aerospace - 4 months ago
Ball Aerospace is an innovative, performance-focused aerospace and defense contractor with more than 3,000 employees. The company specialize...