Technical Lead / Senior Software engineer for a large, rapidly scaling startup
About the Job:
- Shop It To Me is the #1 online personal shopping service. We recommend 2+ billion products to 3+ million active subscribers every month. We are profitable and growing FAST – we tripled in size in 2009.
- Here’s how it works: You tell us your favorite brands (Prada, Nike, 600+ others) and preferences (sizes, prices). Then we scour the internet every day and let you know when things you want go on sale.
- We make money whenever people buy something - our service has been called "addictive" and "dangerous."
- Everyone loves a sale – join us and help our millions of adoring fans access the products they crave.
- Apply technology to drive business results , tackling one or more difficult problems:
- We have scale. We push so much opt-in email that we had to upgrade to TWO separate dedicated gigabit pipes.
- We have lots and lots of data. Calculating billions of accurate recommendations quickly is tricky, and recommendation quality has a direct impact on our bottom line.
- Programatically reading the web reliably is hard. We scrape and normalize product data from 100s of ever-changing sites - and it's just not okay for us to push incorrect or incomplete data into people's inboxes.
- Set the pace and tone. Lead other great engineers by example - by writing elegant code.
- Produce excellent work that will earn the trust, respect and admiration of our small, agile development team.
- Moderate technical discussions with no ego, respecting everyone's opinion and driving towards the best solutions no matter where they come from.
- Be practical. Perform within the constraints of a fast-paced startup environment, optimizing for business results vs. tech-cool-factor & ivory-tower architecture principles.
- Experience leading in a professional software engineering environment (bug tracking, source control, regular releases, robust automated testing) where performance and reliability matter.
- A penchant for mentoring other software engineers... you enjoy helping those around you improve their skills. If you were into test driven development, that would be cool.
- Demonstrable, hands on fluency in a compiled and an interpreted language. You know *a lot* about a few different subjects and others seek out your advice as an expert.
- Uber-productive. Intellectually curious. A motivated motivator. Practical. Passionate.
- "Buck stops" engineering background – you’ve had to make (and live with) technical decisions.
- Experience working on a system that scaled 100x+ under your watchful eye. (in any role – as a software engineer, architect, director, VP, CTO – as long as you were there, that’s great)
- You've built tools and technologies that we’ve heard of and are widely used. Open source contributions a huge plus.
- Formal training in computer science: bachelors, masters, phd, whatever.
- Competitive salary & options, medical, dental, vision, a nice selection of free food & drink.
- Sweet rig of your choosing, phat monitors, Aeron chairs, big windows, high ceilings, brick walls.
- Millions of adoring (mostly female) fans.