DIRECTV is seeking an experienced Technical Project Manager to join the Broadcast Operations Projects team in Los Angeles, California. The Technical Project Manager will join a team of broadcast project managers responsible for implementing DIRECTV's broadcast systems infrastructure throughout the U.S. and are responsible for building out our broadcast facilities in accordance with DIRECTV standards and specifications. The Technical Project Manager will be an integral member of the broadcast projects team focused on supporting DIRECTV's Latin America initiatives and projects. As such, the Technical Project Manager will work closely with a multi-disciplined team of broadcast and network control systems, electrical and civil project engineers as well as content acquisition/distribution and marketing professionals located in the U.S. and Latin America.
- Oversee the project lifecycle for in-house projects from inception to completion ensuring requirements are collected, design reviews are held, budgets/timelines/priorities are respected, documentation is maintained, and final hand-offs with training are performed.
- Plan and execute reviews of project status with staff and management team and proactively keep stakeholders aware of delivery dates.
- Develop new systems, processes, and procedures as necessary to ensure project focus and oversight is maintained throughout its lifecycle and solutions meet or exceed established standards for quality.
- Collaborate with Engineering counterparts on larger projects affecting the broadcast centers by actively participating in design reviews, commissioning & testing, training sessions, and hand-offs.
- Drive effective communication and problem resolution across multiple internal organizations and all management levels on outstanding issues, project activities, and progress.
- Enforce site integration standards and combine logical workflow with sound engineering designs for optimum functionality and ease of troubleshooting.
- Direct project related activities to avoid conflicts with day-to-day operations.
- Liaison between the business and all other members of the partner ecosystem.
- Develop and maintain standard project documentation, project plans, agendas, action items lists, business rules/requirements, test cases, etc.
- Prepare and launch go/no go checklists, develop detailed business requirements, confirm technical requirements drafted by IT and Engineering, and create contingency plans.
- Facilitate user acceptance testing (UAT) with internal and external business partners, manage key issues and defect resolution with Engineering and IT.
- Manage the overall department budget inclusive of labor distribution expenses, project expense/capital, and proper forecasting to keep budget variances within tolerance.
- Develop capital budget plans and requests including qualitative analysis and risk assessment.
- Consider ways in which you can improve the DIRECTV
service and overall customer experience.
- Bachelors degree in engineering preferred, plus 10 years relevant experience (e.g., large-scale, multi-disciplinary Project Management, Operations, etc.) demonstrating a high level of responsibility supporting corporate initiatives.
- Demonstrated use of project management principles essential; PMP certification a plus.
- Must have at least 10 years of project management and planning experience in areas of large scale TV broadcast systems design, installation and test.
- Command over written and verbal Spanish languages highly desirable.
- Industry experience in a Satellite Television Provider, Telecommunications, Cable / Broadcast TV, Over the Top Provider or Studio/Production Company is a plus.
- Must demonstrate working knowledge of digital audio/video, MPEG compression technology, IP and ATM networking, video streaming, file based video delivery and distribution systems, facility construction, power and HVAC.
- Ability to effectively operate within diverse and cross-functional groups.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills, including a qualitative and quantitative skill set.
- Must be able to see the project, decisions and processes in terms of the big picture and how it would impact across-departments.
- Demonstrated success managing projects; work effectively with business and technical managers.
- Must have excellent facilitation, time management, and organizational skills as well as the ability to influence others.
- Must be able to leverage the expertise of the project managers from each functional team and their associated staffs and assists with project prioritization.
- Excellent communication skills and presentation skills.
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite, including Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint, Visio and Access.
- May require up to 20% travel.
Broadcast Operations / Technical Services
About Us? We’re About You.
You’re probably not here to read about DIRECTV’s Fortune 100 ranking, annual revenue or...