COLUMBUS METROPOLITAN LIBRARY
Position Title: Technical Services Associate
Department: Technical Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Manager/Leader as Assigned
Pay Range: 1000
Approved: Executive Director
Effective Date: 12/18/2005
PURPOSE OF JOB:
Process materials for access distribution and shelving at Library locations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Receives materials, creates an online invoice and link items using the acquisitions system. Verifies items received against online order information and invoice. Identifies replacements or titles needing special handling and note on workslip if necessary. Returns incorrect items. Includes adjusting invoice, preparing paperwork, informing vendor of how to handle.
2. Prepares invoices for payment.
3. Checks-in incoming materials (books, AV, serials). Processes reserves.
4. Creates and applies labels (location, barcode, security, new, reference, genre, author) to new books, serials and AV materials.
5. Prepares call number changes – prints labels, creates a record of the change and sends to the appropriate locations.
6. Prepares items to be bound.
7. Assists with serials maintenance including updating summary holdings, deleting issues.
8. Unpacking and Distribution of materials.
9. Troubleshoots equipment and software as needed. Makes necessary fixes or adjustments. Consults with Information Technology when necessary.
10. Utilizes computer applications and library equipment, maintains current knowledge of system wide and location specific procedures, processes, policies and operations. Utilizes e-mail and voicemail to maintain open channels of communication.
11. Performs additional duties as assigned including serving on task forces, committees, etc.
Interaction with staff, customers, agencies and vendors.
1. High School Diploma
2. Familiarity with MS Office products.
3. Keyboarding/windows proficiency.
4. Ability to operate library technology systems, including personal computer, software programs and other job related equipment.
5. Ability to express self effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
6. Experience in customer service.
HIGHLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
1. Associate Degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience.
2. Works hard and is energized by challenges. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them. (Action Oriented)
3. Proficient in the knowledge and skills required to perform the job at a high level of performance. (Functional/Technical Skills)
4. Manages time effectively and efficiently. Focuses time and effort on priorities and across a range of activities. (Time Management)
5. Gains technical skills quickly. Well capable of learning new organization, product or technical knowledge. (Technical Learning)
COMPUTER/TECHNOLOGY SKILLS/EQUIPMENT/SOFTWARE SKILLS:
The following is the common technology used in this position and is not all inclusive.
Data Entry, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Intranet (CMLsi), Internet ( www.Columbuslibrary.org ), ILS, MACQ or other Misc. CML Related Software Applications.
No direct reports.
Frequency of travel: Periodic.
Driver’s license and personal vehicle, location will determine work schedule; may be required to work evenings or weekends.
Work requires physical effort in the repetitive handling of material or boxes and tools or equipment of up to 30 pounds in non-strenuous work positions and/or continual standing or walking at least 60% of the time.
Majority of the work performed in a general office/library environment. May require availability for extended or non-traditional hours as needed to perform job duties. Requires periodic participation and attendance at related library events and training.
The information in this summary indicates the general nature and level of work performed within this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.
Copyright © 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004 by Robert W. Eichinger and Michael M. Lombardo. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This work is derived from the FYI FOR YOUR IMPROVEMENT? Coaching and Development Guide developed and copyrighted by Robert W. Eichinger and Michael M. Lombardo for Lominger Limited, Inc. Without the prior written permission of Lominger Limited, Inc., no part of this work may be used, reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means by or to any party outside of Columbus Metropolitan Library, except as required by law.