SUMMARY: The Laboratory Education Specialist is responsible for the education, training, program administration and general supervision of the MLS and MLT students rotating through the Avera McKennan Hospital Laboratory in addition to the duties of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist. Avera McKennan is associated with several MLS and MLT professional training programs. Under the guidance of the pathologist medical director, laboratory director and laboratory operations manager assures effective education and quality of services provided to the student population. Performs a variety of clinical laboratory tests, procedures and related duties throughout the clinical laboratory (all areas), utilizing scientific principles as well as technical, procedural, and problem-solving aptitudes for day-to-day laboratory services, quality control, quality assurance, procedure/instrument maintenance, test result correlation and clinical laboratory continuing education.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) from a four-year college or university required.
· Acceptance into a National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) approved MLS program as an Education Specialist is acceptable in lieu of Specialty Certification.
· Previous experience in technical quality assessment and procedural development and implementation preferred.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSURE, and/or REGISTRATIONS:
· Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) from the American Society Clinical Sciences (ASCP) required.
· Specialty Certification from ASCP, ASM, NRCC or equivalent agency as appropriate is preferred.
Avera Health - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard