This is an entry level career opportunity.
In addition to a competitive salary range of $49,000 - $62,000 (based on qualifications, skills and abilities), Chelan PUD employees also enjoy outstanding benefits which include the option of a zero cost medical plan (medical, dental and vision for all eligible dependents), short and long-term disability, Washington State Public Employee's Retirement System, Deferred Compensation (with company matching funds up to 5%), 11 holidays and initial personal leave accrual at 21 days per year.
A resume and cover letter are required for this position. Please include the following information in your cover letter (your materials will not be considered unless the required documentation and information is submitted) :
Detailed engineering curriculum, including cumulative GPA
Outside interests that directly relate to the job requirements, skills or abilities
Summarization of engineering goals
To expedite the application process, combine your cover letter and resume into one document and upload when requested through the online application process for job opening #10726.
JOB PURPOSE :
This position is responsible for entry level telecommunication system engineering functions relating to Microwave Communications, RF/Wireless communications, Telephone and Fiber Optic communication systems and devices. The incumbent will assist senior telecommunication engineers in various aspects of engineering relating to design, testing, product research and evaluation, site survey, and engineering drawing development. Will perform various operational support functions such as parts procurement, equipment repair/return, inventory, and documentation.
JOB FUNCTIONS : To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job satisfactorily. Essential functions (EF) are those activities that, if not performed, would significantly and fundamentally alter the position. Secondary functions (SF) are activities not fundamental to the job and may need to be relaxed to accommodate an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability.
1. EF (30%) Perform entry level design, implementation and support of telecommunication systems. Analyze transmission path parameters for radio frequency and fiber optic systems for conditions such as attenuation losses, radio frequency interference, and reflectance. Develop and establish operational parameters relating to radio frequency and fiber optic systems, interpret and gather data from Optical Time-Domain Reflectometer (OTDR), Bit error rate tester (BERT), oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzer, and other typical measurement devices such as voltage, current, and resistance meters for the purpose of testing, troubleshooting and installation of telecommunication systems. Assist senior engineers in designing and installing telecommunication systems. Perform power consumption calculations, equipment site preparation, and identifying HVAC requirements. Provide engineering support to technicians relating to technical telecommunication issues.
2. EF (20%) Develop and implement project scopes, schedules, and budgets for routine telecommunication projects.
3. EF (10%) Perform product research & evaluation. Summarize results and present findings and recommendations to senior level engineers.
4. EF (30%) Maintain a library of telecommunication system diagrams. Develop schematics diagrams, one-line circuits, interconnect diagrams, functional block diagrams, fiber splicing directives, and FCC license updates.
5. EF (10%) Procure parts and equipment. Arrange for equipment repairs. Maintain inventory records.
6. EF (Ongoing) May be required to operate a vehicle on behalf of the District while performing the duties of this position.
7. EF (Ongoing) Maintain regular and predictable attendance. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required. Complete all required training. Maintain a working knowledge and comply with District safety procedures and specific safety requirements of this position, and those in accordance with applicable provisions of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
QUALIFICATIONS : The qualifications listed below are representative of those required, but reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Bachelor's degree (B. S. or B. A.) in Electrical or Electronic Engineering from a four-year college or university.
Experience : This is an entry level engineering position. Candidates with experience working with or performing engineering studies of basic radio frequency, fiber optic communication systems, or telephone/PBX systems are strongly preferred.
Specific KSA's : A fully skilled incumbent will have the following specific knowledge, skills, and abilities: This position requires a solid understanding of fundamental engineering principles and the ability to effectively work on multiple engineering projects simultaneously. Requires knowledge of radio frequency and fiber optic communication technology. Must work effectively within a diverse work force including engineers, skilled craft workers, consultants, customers, and regulatory agency personnel. Must have strong interpersonal and communications skills to be able to effectively communicate complex issues with peers, supervisors, and managers.
Language Skills : Candidate must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
Computers & Equipment : A fully skilled incumbent will have the ability to utilize the following software, hardware, or equipment:
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Outlook (required) Contact Management systems; Microsoft Access (preferred) Database software; PeopleSoft Timekeeping & HR systems (required) Payroll systems; Primavera (preferred) Project Management software; Microsoft Visio (preferred); Microsoft PowerPoint (required) Presentation software; Microsoft Excel (required) Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word (required) Word Processing software.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS : The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and engage in repetitive motion using the hands or arms. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or twist torso. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT : The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
A valid driver's license is required for this position (verified upon hire). A valid Washington State driver's license is required within 30 days of employment.
Pursuant to the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) standards, Chelan County Public Utility District #1 conducts background screening of personnel who have access to the District's critical physical and/or cyber assets.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. This should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Chelan PUD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce. M/F/H/V
Chelan County Public Utility District - 15 months ago