Simply stated, telephone interviewing at NORC is a great job. Aside from the fact that you will be working at a prestigious research institution at the University of Chicago, telephone interviewers have flexible hours, do meaningful work, and have excellent starting wages with possibilities of promotion within the first 12 months. All this at a great location!
Directly on the corner of State and Madison in the 1 North State Street Building, NORC has a multi-purpose telephone center housing the survey data collection industry’s leading technology.
The benefits to working as a Telephone Interviewer at NORC include:
- Flexible part-time hours - You would work a minimum of 16 hours per week with a possibility of up to 28 hours per week. We have evening and weekend shifts available. One weekend shift on Sunday between 2PM-11PM and a minimum of three evening shifts between Sunday and Thursday are required.
- Ideal location - 1 North State Street is the epicenter of Chicago. We are within a block of every El line and dozens of bus lines, and we are close to Metra as well. Both floors have views of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan.
- Meaningful work - We are a non-profit organization dedicated to conducting high-quality social science research in the public interest. For example, you may conduct phone interviews that are part of a major effort by the federal government to understand people's decisions about health care and health insurance and information they need to make decisions that are right for them.
- Paid orientation and training.
- Competitive pay - We offer an excellent starting wage for regular interviewers and a premium starting wage for Spanish/English bilinguals, and a promotion or pay increase is possible within the first year.
- Stimulating work environment - Phone interviewing is challenging and dynamic work that draws heavily on your interpersonal skills.
- Casual dress and a friendly work environment.
- Professional development - Many of our Telephone Interviewing Supervisors and Managers started off as Telephone Interviewers. This job is a great resume builder as well as a chance to develop skills that can be applied to a wide variety of professions.
To see all of the benefits, including retirement savings and a limited health plan, click here .
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Experience interviewing residential households or businesses by telephone preferred.
- Knowledge of a PC Windows environment required.
- Ability to follow all standard operating and project-related procedures.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time in a production work environment.
- Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Ability to write clearly and legibly.
- Ability to work in a production team environment.
In addition to meeting specific job requirements, all employees hired for this position must present evidence of their identity and authorization to work in the United States (I9 documentation) and undergo a background check.
NORC at the University of Chicago is an independent research organization headquartered in downtown Chicago with additional offices on The University of Chicago's campus and in Washington, D.C. and Bethesda, Maryland. NORC also supports a nationwide field staff as well as international research operations. With clients throughout the world, NORC collaborates with government agencies, foundations, educational institutions, nonprofit organizations and businesses to provide the data and analysis that supports informed decision making in key areas including health, education, economics, crime, justice, energy, security, and the environment. NORC’s 70 years of leadership and experience in data collection, analysis, and dissemination—coupled with deep subject matter expertise—provides the foundation for effective solutions.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce.
National Opinion Research Center (NORC) - 23 months ago