TITLE: Temporary Program Assistant for Volunteer Programs Internships Office DEPT: Volunteer Programs Internships REPORTS TO: Manager, Volunteer Programs Internships AVAILABLE: Immediately HOURS: Part Time Temporary, 20-25 hours per week, Wednesdays- Saturdays for 4 weeks through 2/28/13 JOB SUMMARY: The Program Assistant provides general administrative assistance and program support to the Volunteer Programs and Internships Office. This position will assist the coordinator and manager of the office with management of applicants and work with volunteer supervisors. RESPONSIBILITIES: 1. Answers high volume of telephone calls, responds to voice mail and email messages.
2. Files, photocopies, and maintains volunteer database. 3. Manages volunteer applicants and tracks pending applicants.
4. Works with volunteer supervisors to provide support for their volunteers and recruiting needs. 5. Assists in developing programs for one shot opportunities, including conducting research.
6. Assists in writing quarterly e-newsletters and other email announcements to volunteers. 7. Maintains tidiness of volunteer office and volunteer lounge spaces (including maintaining book lists for the library).
8. Assists with volunteer event planning, coordination and execution as needed. 9. Assists manager with volunteer and site supervisory support as needed.
10. Performs position related duties as assigned. EDUCATION: Minimum Training and Experience Requires a Bachelor's degree and 1 years of related experience. Specific degree preferred: volunteer administration, adult development, human resources, personnel management, education, psychology, sociology, anthropology, and other social sciences.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Strong interpersonal, organizational, communication (verbal and written), and relationship building skills. Demonstrated experience working in a fast paced environment and customer service experience strongly preferred. Self-motivated and detail-oriented; strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities; ability to work independently as well as on a team. Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required, familiarity with Volgistics and Constant Contact preferred.
Preferred experience working with diverse racial/socioeconomic populations and familiarity with NEAq programs. New England Aquarium is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
New England Aquarium - 18 months ago