Under general supervision, works as part of a team to perform a variety of tasks related to weed control, revegetation, and habitat maintenance along the Greenways trail and stream corridor system in the City of Boulder.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Department of Public Works is committed to providing excellent customer service and our employees are expected to:
- be effective communicators;
- act with a high level of integrity;
- be responsible and accountable for their words and actions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Removing noxious weeds from sensitive areas by hand pulling, mechanical removal, and chemical controls along the Greenways corridors.
• Activities to improve habitat quality and/or overall site appearance including proper disposal of cut plant materials, trash and debris cleanup, sweeping, etc.
• Work as part of a team.
• Map and document infestations and treatments using aerial photography and detailed record-keeping methods.
• Participate in integrated weed management and restoration projects involving other agency staff and/or volunteers.
• Collect local native seed for use in revegetation.
• Participate in restoration projects including soil preparation, shrub and seed plantings, post-planting care.
• Determine water needs for various landscaping areas; irrigation and minor irrigation repair.
• Take proper safety precautions to prevent accidents. Responsible for the safety of self, others, materials, and equipment. Use all required safety equipment and follow all safety regulations, policies and procedures. Report all accidents and damage to city property.
• Responsible for knowing and complying with all city and department policies; participating in professional trainings and development and adhering to attendance and workplace attire policies.
• Perform related duties as required to meet the needs of the City.
The City of Boulder is committed to hiring employees who provide excellent customer service. Our employees act with a high level of integrity and take responsibility for their words and actions.
City of Boulder employees strive to respect and appreciate each individual's differences and to work effectively with all people and their diverse backgrounds. We support candid and honest interactions which respect other points of view and are sensitive to communication differences. We achieve organizational goals through inclusive problem solving, planning, and decision-making. Community partnerships are included in this effort.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• Ability and willingness to work as part of a team and to be reliable and productive with limited supervision.
• Ability to perform a wide range of physical and manual tasks in an outdoor environment in all types of weather.
• Ability and willingness to ride a bicycle to and from work sites.
• Ability to work and communicate with diverse groups of people, including a commitment to being helpful and courteous to the public, trail users, and other city staff.
• Experience with habitat maintenance, especially weed control and revegetation techniques.
• Strong plant identification skills with a focus on native species.
• Ability to keep detailed, accurate records and organize information.
• Ability to safely operate and maintain a variety of hand and power tools and equipment.
• Valid driver's license. Have and maintain acceptable motor vehicle record.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – In addition to the required minimum qualifications:
• College level coursework in botany, environmental biology or related field.
• Effective conflict resolution skills.
• Familiarity with common Colorado and Boulder local plant species, both native and exotic.
• Training and/or experience in Integrated Pest Management techniques.
• Experience landscaping with native species, including selection of appropriate species based on site conditions.
• Training and/or experience in wetland and riparian area management.
WORKING CONDITIONS - Required Physical and Mental Effort, and Environmental Conditions:
Physical and Mental Effort: Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities that permit the employee to communicate effectively on the telephone and in person. Sufficient vision or other powers of observation that permit the employee to review, evaluate, and prepare a variety of written documents and materials. Ability to work under stress from demanding deadlines, public contact, and changing priorities and conditions. Ability to perform strenuous, physical labor all day.
Work Environment: Work is in an outdoor environment subject to continuous interruptions, background noises and changing weather conditions.
Machines and equipment used may include, but are not limited to the following: pruning shears, saws, chainsaws, roto-tillers, edgers, aerators, tractors, small power equipment and hand tools.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Employment Dates: A
pril 22, 2013- August 29, 2013
City of Boulder, CO - 2 years ago