At The North Face, we push the boundaries of innovation with our product design and development of premier apparel, equipment and footwear to enable and inspire athletes and enthusiasts to Never Stop Exploring. We remain deeply proud to be the first choice of the world's most accomplished climbers, mountaineers, extreme skiers, snowboarders, endurance runners, and explorers. If you have a passion for the outdoors and enjoy a fast-paced environment, this is the place for you!
The Footwear Colorist is responsible for executing the TNF brand's color vision as a collection with consistency and accuracy. The candidate will be the liaison between footwear and all other design departments to create color cohesion for the brand. The colorist will actively network in the industry to be aware of new color trends and report back to the footwear team on their findings and opinions.
Years of Related Professional Experience: 5+.
Bachelor's Degree in related field
Background in color trend and color/fabric knowledge.
Extensive knowledge of terminology, materials and processing related to
manufacturing of footwear. Excellent color / print sense
Strong ability to differentiate color and accurately and consistently describe
color differences. Tested superior color discrimination skills
Must be capable of making sound judgments on color deviations while providing
the footwear team advice on how to achieve required colors for textile and
Independent, resourceful and able communicate effectively with Sales Team,
Retailers, and external Development Team
Sound organizational and administrative skills
Exhibit effective interpersonal and communication skills
Ability to work and interact with others
Ability to work independently
Computer experience to include: Adobe Illustrator /Adobe PhotoShop
Understand and use the Macintosh platform
Use of Microsoft Office for office applications (Word, Excel) and Lotus Notes
Strong presentation skill set a must.
Print/pattern/webbing design experience a plus
1. Identify seasonal color standards and directions based on collaboration with Footwear Design Director and through global trend research from tradeshows, exhibitions, retailers, print and web.
2. Determine direction for color usage on all footwear. This color direction must align with other ABM’s (activity based models), based on constant communication with apparel and hardgoods teams.
3. Responsible for management of physical color pallets: Duties to include management of pantone books, conversion of apparel color standards to pantone standards, and creation of pantone color chip palettes for design and PLM teams.
4. Responsible for SMU (special make up) program coloration. Duties to includes coordinating timelines with SMU development manager for colored cad delivery.
5. Be primary liaison with all ABM’s for color alignment and any keep footwear team apprised of color changes through PLM process.
6. Maintain color reference library for footwear. Materials to include, leathers, meshes, EVA and Rubber color standards.
7. Support Design Director and Category Director in creating color/ theme / trend related presentation materials for meetings, presentations, sales materials and trade shows.
8. Responsible for the majority of color cads for new and carry over colorways. Design Director and Colorist to balance workload. Work may be divided amongst design team as needed.
VF Outdoor (doing business as The North Face) wants its customers to take a hike -- or take a stab at climbing Mount Everest. A subsidiary...