JOB SUMMARY: Repairs and performs preventative maintenance on tires on all CATA vehicles. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1. Repairs damaged tires of automobiles, buses, trucks, and other automotive vehicles. Includes raising the vehicles, using a hydraulic jack, unbolting wheel, using impact wrench.
Removes wheel from vehicle by hand using safety blocks. 2. Locates puncture in tubeless tire by visual inspection or by immersing inflated tire in water bath. Separates tire from wheel.
May glue boot (tire patch) over rupture in tire casing, using rubber cement. 3. Reassembles tire onto wheel, and places wheel on balancing machine to determine counterweights required to balance wheel. Hammers required counterweights onto rim of wheel and remounts wheel onto vehicle.
4. Responds to emergency calls in CATA vehicle to make repairs or replacements of damaged tires on the road. 5. Cleans aluminum wheels and transports steel wheels to the paint room and back.
6. Sets up and operates machine to regroove tread surface of tires. Measures depth of usable tread rubber, using appropriate tools. Sets cutting blades of machine to maximum depth consistent with safety.
Guides blade to cut desired pattern in tread surface as machine auto matically revolves tire. May groove tires by hand. 7. Performs tire branding on new tires.
Process is used in the locating and inventory of tires. 8. Rotates tires as needed to assure even wear. Checks tires daily (bump and visual) for flats, damage and loose lug nuts.
9. Checks air in tire each time vehicle is worked on and the entire fleet monthly. 10. Service CATA fleet (automobiles, buses, trucks vans).
11. Service includes: Checking all fluids engine oil, transmission, power steering, and radiator level and fill with fuel. 12. Record fluids on fuel sheet, hub-o-meter reading.
13. Inspect vehicle for body damage and check all interior and exterior lights. 14. Check vehicle for cut or broken seats, broken or cracked glass and graffiti and report it if found.
15. Mop up any spills and vacuum bus floor. 16. Wash vehicle either by hand or the bus wash.
17. Park vehicle in proper parking space, wipe off steering wheel and notify shop foreman of any deficiencies noted on green sheet form. 18. Assumes additional responsibilities as required REQUIREMENTS: Knowledge - High school diploma or GED required; must possess five years° experience in the repair and replacement of tires.
Overall knowledge of automobile and bus tires and related equipment required. Possess standard mechanical hand tools and be experienced in the use of tools to perform related work. Must have a valid CDL driver°s license. Mental Effort - Must be able to understand maintenance manuals; prepare work cards and orders for vehicle/tire repairs.
Physical - Extensive walking and standing at least 90% of the time; lifting a maximum of 75 lbs. and lifting parts and materials overhead. Requires ability to withstand exposure to negative surroundings such as uncomfortable weather conditions, dust, engine fumes, toxic chemicals, and extreme noise levels. Requires ability to perform hand-over-hand method of steering vehicles and be able to grip a steering wheel.
Must be able to crawl or stoop into tight areas and lay horizontal under a vehicle. Audible Visual Demands - Requires ability to hear directions given; distinguish vehicular problems associated with trouble shooting repairs; visually perform essential functions for satisfactory job performance. Miscellaneous - Must be willing to work shift hours and days as assigned. (Evening/night shift, starts at 430pm) The above description is intended to describe the general content, identify the essential functions, and set forth the requirements for the performance of this job.
It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Starting pay $13.73 an hour. Full package of benefits; health, dental, vision, life, deferred compensation, and paid vacation " sick time. Visit http://cat.org/about/jobs.html to print out an application.
Central Arkansas Transit Authority - 16 months ago