Performs supervisory and skilled work in one or more of the skilled trades in the construction, general mechanical, maintenance and repair of public buildings and facilities.
Supervises semi-skilled and skilled carpentry, concrete, masonry, painting and plastering tasks in the construction or general mechanical and maintenance/repair of buildings and facilities. Operates and oversees preventive maintenance programs on various equipment. Analyzes work orders; lays out jobs; and estimates the amount of material, supplies and workers needed to complete the job. Orders supplies and equipment needed by the crews. Inspects work of subordinates to insure proper workmanship in accordance with building standards and codes. Secures required permits for work performed. Instructs subordinates in techniques, methods, code requirements, operations of equipment, safety precautions, etc. Coordinates work activities with other divisions when required. Ensures divisional policies and procedures are enforced; assists in developing new policies relative to area of expertise. Signs off/certifies the work of an apprentice and/or journeyman level worker within specialized program area. Attends staff meetings and safety meetings. Periodically may conduct staff meetings and/or safety meetings. Provides related training for assigned personnel as required.
Performs skilled trade work as required; operates equipment and tools as necessary in performing tasks. Prepares a daily activity sheet of all jobs performed for review by immediate supervisor. Assists or may be assisted by other skilled trades workers, semi-skilled workers or others when necessary and as assigned. Responsible for knowing and complying with all UCG and division safety rules and for attending safety meetings. May be assigned to perform duties of higher or lower level classifications in this or related class series and/or perform duties on a temporary or acting basis. Performs other related duties as required.
Considerable knowledge of:
- the methods, practices, tools and materials used in construction, general mechanical, maintenance and repair work;
- the maintenance and operation of a variety of equipment and systems used in assigned area;
- occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions applicable to area of assignment;
- federal, state and local codes and regulations related to assigned area;
- procedures and regulations regarding asbestos and lead removal, clean-up and disposal as set forth by OSHA, EPA and other agencies.
- the use and care of hand and power tools and equipment necessary to perform various construction, general mechanical, maintenance and repair tasks.
- plan, organize, supervise and instruct skilled and semi-skilled workers in the proper performance of a variety of construction, general mechanical, maintenance and repair tasks;
- work from sketches, building plans, blueprints and oral or written instructions;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and others encountered during building maintenance/repair work;
- maintain complete and accurate records;
- communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- understand procedures and regulations related to area of assignment.
Completion of high school education or GED and eighteen (18) months vocational training in the area of assignment plus two (2) years of journeyman level experience in General Maintenance with one of those years in a supervisory capacity; or equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Possession of a valid driver's license.
Physical demands include sitting, standing, lifting, carrying, walking, pushing, pulling, climbing, bending, and movement of controls. Must have the strength and agility to allow the employee to perform job duties which would be found at the level of medium work (i.e. exerting 20-50 pounds of force) to very heavy work (i.e. exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force). Working conditions include regular exposure to confined spaces, continuous noises, vibrations, contagious diseases, wet and humid surroundings, extreme hot or cold temperatures, fumes, dust, odors, heights, radiation, and animals.
Due to the nature of work tasks, some positions within various divisions must pass the following requirements:
1) a special physical examination
2) initial and periodic respirator fit testing
3) annual respirator certification
May be required to possess a valid driver's license.
In some positions, a class A Commercial Driver¿s license is required.
Ability to operate Urban County Government equipment and vehicles in a safe, prudent and responsible manner; read blue prints; work with hand tools and power tools. Must be available for on-call and call-back duty. Must be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays as assigned and on emergencies. All positions require drug testing before employment and will require a pre-employment physical.
Will be a training and experience evaluation from information provided on the application at filing deadline date weighted at 100% of the final score.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit LFUCG electronic application through www.Lexingtonky.gov with required documents to verify your education, training or certification/licence(s), by filing deadline date. RESUMES CAN NOT BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE APPLICATION.
***APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO COMPLETE THE ELECTRONIC APPLICATION IN ITS ENTIRETY WILL NOT BE CONSIDERE FURTHER***Education documents may also be lectronicallyattached/uploaded to your application.
*** APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO PROVIDE DOCUMENTATION OF POST HIGH SCHOOL
EDUCATION BEFORE THE FILING DEADLINE DATE WILL NOT RECEIVE CREDIT FOR SUCH
Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government offers an outstanding benefits package, i.e. voluntary benefits spending account program; three weeks vacation and three weeks sick leave per year. All positions require drug testing before employment and a pre-employment physical.
Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government - 22 months ago
The LFUCG provides free mulch three times a year: April, July and October, on the second and third Saturday of the month. People can pick up...