Directly supervises up to ten employees in the Transportation Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Oversees operations and administrative functions at an individual site/district location.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the safety performance, operating practices, and financial productivity of the operation.
- Responsible for customer interface and monitoring the quality of the service in accordance with the terms of all applicable contractual arrangements.
- Assists with railcar switching functions as required.
- Assumes leadership role in supervising crews, schedules, personnel, and maintains payroll within the targeted budget.
- Conducts efficiency and operating tests according to company practices to determine the effectiveness of training and to monitor rules compliance.
- Conducts incident investigations; prepares associated reports for derailments, personal injury, etc.
- Hires new employees to fill vacancies; trains new employees in operating practices according to federal regulations and company policies; administers appropriate discipline as needed.
- Responsible for the certification and recertification of locomotive engineers and conductors.
- Periodically rides trains to monitor the performance of engineers, conductors, and brakemen; responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures and programs.
- Prescribes and conducts remedial training if necessary for engineers, conductors and brakemen.
- Conducts Skills Performance Tests (check rides) for locomotive engineers.
- Conducts initial and ongoing training for engineers including Safety, Operating Rules, Timetable, Hazardous Materials, Air Brake, Train Handling, Locomotive Inspection, and any task that may be required in the performance of their duties; maintains all training records in accordance with federal regulations.
- Assists in implementing company policies and procedures as they pertain to the transportation department.
- Carry out other duties as assigned.
Education Required: Associate's Degree
- Responsible for managing the safety performance, operating practices, and financial productivity of the operation.
- Responsible for customer interface and monitoring the quality of the service in accordance with the terms of any applicable contractual arrangements.
- Assists in railcar switching function as required.
- Assumes a leadership role in supervisiing crews, schedules, personnel, and maintains payroll within the targeted budget.
- Conducts efficiency and opereating tests according to company practices.
- Conducts incident investigations and prepares assocaited reports-derailments, personal injury, etc.
- Hires new employees to fill vacanices; trains new employees in operating practices according to feederal regaulations and company policies; adminsters discipline as needed.
Education Preferred: Bachelor's Degree
Related Experience Required: 5 years work experience in the railroad industry, with supervisory duties. Knowledge and understanding of FRA regulations.
Related Experience Preferred: 7 years work experience in the railroad industry.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. - 5 months ago
Genesee & Wyoming (GWI) once relied on the salt of the earth -- hauling salt on a 14-mile railroad for one customer. Now, however, the...