NOTE: 10% Travel required.
Under the supervision of the Transportation Maintenance Specialist IV, this position is responsible for the performance of transportation operations and maintenance support. Performs fabrication, repair and maintenance of marine related equipment, fisheries-specific gears, and structures. Performs purchasing and report preparation. May closely assist with work of other team members. Performs additional duties as assigned. Complies with all Agency, Division, and Branch rules, regulations, and procedures.
POSTING NUMBER: 14-00129
- Graduation from High School or GED.
- Transportation Maintenance Specialist I: Two years full time relevant experience in maintenance and repair work;
- Transportation Maintenance Specialist II: Three years full time relevant experience in maintenance and repair work OR; One year full time experience as a Transportation Maintenance Specialist I.
NOTE: Retention of position contingent upon obtaining and maintaining required license.
- Must possess or be able to obtain, within 30 days of employment, a valid class “C” Texas driver’s license.
- Graduation from an accredited college with an Associate’s degree or vocational degree in building trades or relevant skills.;
- Two years of certified training in relevant skills and trades.
- Experience in marine repair and maintenance specifically on boats, motors, trailers, and related equipment.
- Specific technical trade skill licensure relevant to plumbing, electric, engine repairs and/or welding.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Transportation Maintenance Specialist I:
Transportation Maintenance Specialist II:
- Knowledge of marine vessel maintenance, repair and operation;
- Knowledge of general maintenance and repair support methods and procedure;
- Skill in maintaining records of materials, supplies, time and work performed;
- Skill in safe use of manual and power tools standard to maintenance and repair trades;
- Skill in effective verbal and written communication;
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective work relationships with co-workers and work-related contacts;
- Skill in using MSWord, Excel and Outlook;
- Ability to accurately follow instructions;
- Ability to work as a member of a team;
- Ability to learn basic purchasing procedures;
- Ability to work under moderate supervision with limited latitude for use of initiatives and independent judgment.
- Knowledge of Transportation Maintenance Specialist I, PLUS
- Knowledge of technical trades required for fabrication and maintenance of equipment, special gears, and facilities;
- Knowledge of basic purchasing procedures;
- Skills of Transportation Maintenance Specialist I, PLUS
- Skill in completing and maintaining required work order related documentation;
- Skill in understanding and application of safety standards and procedures;
- Ability of Transportation Maintenance Specialist I, PLUS
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, sketches, and schematic diagram;
- Ability to prepare job cost estimates;
- Ability to perform manual labor including, lifting supplies and materials up to 50 lbs.;
- Ability to conduct work activities in accordance with TPWD safety program;
- Ability to work under general supervision with moderate latitude for use of initiatives and independent judgment.
- Required to work hours other than 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with days off other than Saturdays, Sundays and holidays;
- Required to perform work outdoors, occasionally in adverse weather conditions;
- Required to work in extreme conditions, such as on vessels, in engine rooms, scaffolding, and confined spaces;
- Required to perform manual labor including, lifting supplies and materials up to 50 lbs.;
- Required to travel with possible overnight stays;
- Non-smoking environment in State buildings and vehicles.
- Submit online application: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/jobs;
- Work history experience MUST be completed in the online application in order to be considered;
- Resume and professional references may be attached to the online application, but not in place of the completed application;
- A skills test may be conducted at time of interview.
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department - 8 months ago