ORAL EXAM IS TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED FOR JULY 2013
A VALID TYPING CERTIFICATE VERIFYING A NET KEYBOARDING
RATE OF 45 WPM IS REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION. FREE TYPING TEST OFFERED FOR COUNTY POSITIONS ONLY - SEE “SPECIAL REQUIREMENT” SECTION.
IF A VALID TYPING CERTIFICATE IS NOT ATTACHED,
YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Under general supervision, to perform a variety of complex and confidential clerical duties; to prepare, maintain and type important records, regular and special reports. This position is in the County Administrative Office located at 1450 Court Street, Room 308A. The primary responsibilities of this assignment are to act as the receptionist for the County Administrative Office, answer and direct all incoming phone calls; respond to all general information emails; issue and track parking permits; coordinate use of Administration Center display cases; develop and distribute meeting agendas; maintain office supplies; monitor copier usage, supplies and maintenance; review and distribute for approval: contracts, leases and budget amendments, and enter document data into logs; and review and process invoices into the IFAS 7i financial accounting system.
This is the full journey level in the Typist Clerk class series. Incumbents perform specialized clerical duties that involve accurate speed typing. This is a Confidential classification. Confidential in this context according to the Personnel Rule means a non-management employee who, in the course of his or her duties, is regularly privy to management planning or decision making regarding the County’s administration of employer-employee relations as determined by the Board of Supervisors. Incumbents are responsible to apply good judgment, as well as knowledge of current operations, procedures, rules and precedents to assigned tasks and interpret this information to public and County staff members. Typically, employees are assigned responsibility for the style, format, final appearance and accuracy of completed assignments.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
Types reports, letters, documents, records, vouchers, requisitions, lists, schedules, orders, notices and statistical and financial data; types letters from rough draft, marginal notes or verbal instructions; interviews callers in a public office and over the telephone and either furnishes the desired information, refers them to the proper source or arranges an appointment with an appropriate person; researches, extracts, transfers and summarizes information from records; types material of a confidential nature; prepares acknowledgements and replies to letters; checks reports, records and other data for accuracy, completeness and compliance with established standards; checks and tabulates data; receives money in payment of bills, fines and fees, gives receipts and keeps records of collections; follows up on material sent to other people for review or completion; proofreads copy; maintains a variety of financial and statistical records and files; alphabetizes materials; keeps stock of office supplies and orders new supplies when needed; operates a variety of office equipment, including a computer, copier, calculator and other types; operates a switchboard.
Any combination of education and experience sufficient to directly demonstrate possession and application of the following:
Knowledge of: Complex clerical methods and procedures; general functions of Shasta County and primary sources of information.
Ability to: Perform difficult clerical work and type at a speed of not less than 45 words per minute from clear copy; make decisions in procedural matters; prepare and maintain accurate and complete records and reports; devise work improvements as necessary; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
These employment standards are typically attained with two years of progressively responsible clerical experience in a related office environment or with one year of experience comparable to that of a Typist Clerk II with Shasta County.
• YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE TO ATTACH A VALID TYPING CERTIFICATE TO THIS APPLICATION. A valid typing certificate dated within the past three years verifying a net typing/keyboard speed of 45 wpm is required for this position. Current County employees who have such a document in their official County personnel file are exempt from this requirement forever, however, it is recommended to contact Shasta County Personnel to ensure your typing certificate is attached.
Self-tested, computer-generated typing certificates are not accepted.
Only for current County job openings that require a typing certificate: Shasta County offers a free typing test. The test is available by appointment only. Space is limited and appointment times are not guaranteed. The typing certificate is valid only for Shasta County jobs. Appointments are available daily from 9 a.m. to noon & 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., and the test takes approximately 15 minutes to complete. To make an appointment, please call 225-5515. Tests are administered at 1450 Court Street, Room 348, Redding, CA 96001. You will be asked to present your picture ID.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those and employee encounters or must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• All new employees are required to have their paycheck directly deposited to a bank account.
• Some positions may require a valid California driver’s license and acceptable driving record according to County policy.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made for those persons who are disabled under the Americans with Disabilities Act to perform the essential functions of the position.
• All individuals offered employment with Shasta County must pass a pre-employment physical examination that includes drug and alcohol testing.
• In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, County employees, in the event of a disaster are considered disaster workers and may be asked to respond accordingly.
• Employees in this classification are covered under the CalPERS retirement program. Depending on the provisions of the California Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act (PEPRA) and other applicable laws, an employee in this classification will be covered under one of the following CalPERS retirement formulas: (1) 2% at 55, (2) 2% at 60, or (3) 2% at 62. An employee in this classification will also contribute 7% of his/her pay to this plan, or will contribute such other amount to the plan as authorized by PEPRA and other applicable laws. Please visit http://www.co.shasta.ca.us/index/support_index/personnel/policies_mous.aspx for additional information regarding benefits and CalPERS coverage information. The provisions in this flyer and on the County’s website are for information purposes only. To the extent the provisions of the flyer or the County’s website are inconsistent with PEPRA and other applicable laws, PEPRA and other applicable laws shall govern.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURES:
Shasta County Personnel will accept applications and the required typing certificate until 5:00 p.m., on July 12, 2013. A cover letter and/or resume will be accepted in addition to the application form but will not serve as a substitute for a completed application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. It is not acceptable to complete the application with statements such as, “See/Refer to Resume,” or “See Attached.” Closing date postmarks or faxes will NOT be accepted. This recruitment will establish a list that may or may not be used by other departments. Prior applicants must reapply to be considered.
Applicants will be screened and those considered best qualified will be invited to appear for an oral and/or written examination. Meeting the announced requirements does not guarantee inclusion into the selection process. Depending upon the number of applications received, the selection process may consist of additional application screening, written and/or practical exam(s), oral interview, or any combination thereof.
Veterans' Credit: Veterans (as defined by California Government Code section 18973) who have been discharged from military service under conditions other than dishonorable and who receive a passing score on all components of the employment examinations (up to and including oral examinations) shall receive credit for an additional five points to be added to their final examination score. To be considered for this credit, a veteran MUST provide a copy of his or her discharge document (DD-214 or equivalent) and information as to the type of discharge (honorable, dishonorable, etc.) WITH THE EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION ON OR BEFORE THE FINAL FILING DATE.
Applicants are encouraged to apply on-line at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/shasta/default.cfm or submit an application to the Shasta County Personnel Office.
Arrangements may be made to accommodate applicants with disabilities. Requests for accommodations may be made to the Shasta County Personnel Office by the filing deadline posted on this bulletin. Shasta County does not discriminate on the basis of disability. If you feel you are being denied service based on a disability, our ADA Coordinator may be reached at (530) 225-5515; relay service (800) 735-2922; fax (530) 225-5345.
SHASTA COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Shasta County Personnel
1450 Court Street, Room 348
Redding, CA 96001