DoITT provides for the sustained, efficient and effective delivery of IT services, infrastructure and telecommunications to enhance service delivery to NYC residents, businesses, employees and visitors. As the City's technology leader, DoITT is responsible for maintaining the foundational IT infrastructure and systems that touch every aspect of City life from public safety to human services crossing the full spectrum of governmental operations.
The successful candidate will serve as a UNIX/LINUX Oracle Database Administrator reporting to the IT Services division. Responsibilities will include: Install, configure, customize, create, implement, and support Oracle databases in Non-RAC and RAC environments, and software and related tools/products for the CITISERV database systems; implement Grid Infrastructure release 12c on a Unix/Linux platform; implement and maintain ASM cluster Filesystem; add new disks to an ASM disk group; patch grid infrastructure software; implement instance caging; setup/administer Oracle database security environment; carry out DB Performance Tuning; troubleshoot DB problems, working with ORACLE support on problems and questions; Schedule RMAN (backup/recovery); configure/support Active Dataguard and Golden Gate for Oracle Replication; install, configure and customize ORACLE server and clients; schedule, install and configure ORACLE upgrades; install, configure, customize ORACLE related system level software; design, develop and create database file systems layouts and Oracle databases; monitor software notifications and updates; manage distributed databases and configuring client/server and Web-based environments; provide technical assistance and troubleshooting support to developers; review database design specifications and application coding routines to ensure adherence to best practice methods for database usage; ensure database performance is maintained at optimal levels and is able to support defined business requirements; create/maintain referential integrity relationships and constraints; provide problem diagnosis and resolution; schedule database backups; diagnose and resolve backup failures; configure and analyze application SQL code to do SQL Tuning for performance improvement; develop and maintain Oracle database operational procedures; utilize Solaris Administration skills; develop UNIX shell scripts; work with the Database team, SUN engineers and administrators to design, build, upgrade and support the necessary Oracle infrastructure; and perform special technology projects as needed.
Minimum Qual Requirements
Professional/Vendor Certification, Education and Experience Requirements: By the last day of the Application Period you must have current professional/vendor certifications.
In addition, by the last day of the Application Period, you must have one of the following:
1. A masters degree in computer science or a related computer field from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional, or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) AND 12 months of satisfactory full-time (not classroom based) specialized database administration and development experience, including Database Administration, Data Modeling and Database Design, Testing, Technical Writing, and Version Control; OR
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional, or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) AND 24 months of satisfactory full-time (not classroom based) specialized experience as described in “1” above; OR
3. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State’s Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization AND 24 months of satisfactory full-time (not classroom based) specialized experience as described in “1” above plus 48 months of information technology experience as described in the IT Task Inventory *; OR
4. A satisfactory combination of education and experience which is equivalent to “3” above. Education may be substituted for the information technology experience on the basis of 30 semester credits from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional, or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) is equivalent to 12 months of experience, up to a maximum of 48 months. However, if you qualify under options “2,” “3” or “4,” you must have at least a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State’s Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization and at least 24 months of satisfactory full-time (not classroom based) specialized information technology experience as described in “1” above.
- IT Task Inventory: When you are online, you may read the tasks in the IT Task Inventory by clicking on the Task Inventory button above the online Notice of Examination. Read the Task Inventory carefully to make sure that you have the work experience to meet the minimum qualification requirements.
The preferred candidate should possess the following experience: 4 years as an Oracle DBA; experience implementing/managing Oracle Databases in a RAC environment; experience implementing Grid Infrastructure release 11.2 or higher on a Unix/Linux environment; experience implementing ASM cluster Filesystem with knowledge of how to maintain it; knowledge of Best Practices for adding a new disk to an ASM disk group; experience patching grid infrastructure software; experience implementing instance caging; familiar with Oracle database resource manager; familiar with huge pages on Linux; experience supporting a high-availability production database; experience in configuring/supporting Oracle Active Data Guard; experience in a Solaris environment; experience in Veritas Cluster Server for Oracle; experience in database architecture and design; experience with Oracle Advanced Security Option; experience with Golden Gate for Oracle Replication.
Must possess one of the following professional vendor certifications: Oracle Database Administrator; IBM Certified DB2 Database Administrator; Microsoft Certified Database Administrator
For City employees, please go to Employee Self Service (ESS), click on Recruiting Activities > Careers, and search for Job ID #
For all other applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID #
If you do not have access to a computer, please mail resume indicating Job ID # to:
Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications (DoITT)
Recruitment Office - 255 Greenwich Street- 9th Floor - New York, NY 10007
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW
APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO OVERSIGHT APPROVAL
The Department of Information Technology & Telecommunications and the City of New York are equal opportunity employers.
Due to the necessary technical duties of this position in a 24/7 operation, candidate may be required to work various shifts such as weekends and/or nights/evenings.
New York City Residency is not required for this position
NYC Careers - 8 months ago