The UNIX System Administrator performs support on all server-related issues. Provide consulting, problem determination and resolution, system installation and configuration, application support, and needs analysis to support the use of technology by faculty, staff and students. Develop strategic and tactical plans in support of the University and Information Technology Strategic plans.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Perform required maintenance on all UNIX, Solaris, and Linux servers to ensure a stable operating environment. This includes, but is not limited to, account management, configuration management (software and hardware), resource management, security and patch management.
- Develop plan and implement recommendations for maintaining a stable server environment. All planning must consider impact on other areas of the network infrastructure and the customer environment.
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation of systems, protect plans and work order progress.
- Consult with end users on a variety software and system requirements. Understand, recommend, and provide technical solutions.
- Keep abreast of technology trends, especially those trends relating to the educational environment.
- Attend meetings and briefings related to computing support. Participate in committees and task forces as assigned.
- Will oversee Student Assistants within the department.
Bachelor's degree is required and at least three years of experience working within a UNIX, Solaris and Linux networking environment.
- Ability to learn new things and keep up with the pace of change in technology.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to communicate with various levels of users to understand the problem. Must maintain a positive and professional image.
- Good organizational skills.
- Solid working knowledge of computer hardware and desktop software.
- Ability to collect the appropriate information from the user to expedite the resolution for the problem. Demonstrate good judgment in investigating and escalating problems.
- Demonstrate ability to tactfully handle difficult situations and ability to maintain composure under pressure.
- Consistently show ability to recognize and deal with priorities. Recognize and perform duties which need to be performed, although not directly assigned.
- Seek guidance and direction as necessary for performance of duties.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with supervisors and other staff members and assist others as needed.
Embry-Riddle is also an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Embry-Riddle values diversity. We respect the rights and property of all individuals, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, physical disability, economic background, sexual orientation /identity, or religious belief. We believe in a community where all members are welcome, and individuals and groups are free from harassment.
How To Apply
For information on applying for open jobs, please read the following:
• Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University considers applications for
open positions only
. You can
obtain information regarding these openings from our online postings, media advertisements, or by contacting our
Please follow the steps below to update/add documents to your iRecruitment profile:
• We retain applications until the vacancy has been filled. You may apply online for multiple
• Only applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered for open positions.
Individuals whose qualifications and experience best meet the needs of the University will be contacted for an
• If you need reasonable accommodations during the application or interview process, please let us know
as soon as possible.
• If you have not created a profile (using your email address and creating a password) please click on
" button. Once you have created your account, you will be able to successfully apply
for the vacancy of your choice.
• Please log back in to your profile often to check the status of your application.
1. Log into your iRecruitment profile by visiting
" and then "
2. Once logged in, if you would like to update your profile, click "
" (on the left side
near the top). You can add/delete documents on the "
" tab, or click on the remaining
headings to view and/or update your profile. Please remember to “
3. When you are finished updating your information, click the "
" button and then the
" tab near the top right. This will take you back to the Welcome page of your profile.
Amount of Travel
Work At Home
Embry-Riddle - 4 months ago