Our vision at Petco is
Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World.
We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you'll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
This position is responsible for promoting and providing a culture in which we proactively engage and educate pet parents and help them feel confident that they are providing the best care to their pets by providing a personalized, neighborly shopping experience. Promote a culture of service and trust for customers and staff. Establish and sustain an environment that supports associates in doing their jobs well, ensuring each associate receives the prescribed training and feedback and meets the required qualifications for their position. Function in a matrix-like management environment to ensure store goals and customer satisfaction needs are met. In the absence of the General Manager, assume responsibility for the sales and operation of the store. This position is directly responsible for ensuring hourly associates are scheduled in the appropriate department on a daily basis, for all front end and cashier activities, and for ensuring payroll targets.
In collaboration with the store management team, this position is responsible for driving the store’s success, through: animal and product knowledge; proactive customer engagement; keeping store clean and visually pleasing; maintaining in-stocks at all times; meeting budget/sales goals
- Encourage, model and sustain an environment of proactive customer engagement, seeking to understand customer needs and educating them on the best choice for their pets so they leave confident, satisfied and wanting to return. Train, coach and support sales associates to do the same.
- Support and coach associates to do their jobs well and to balance the needs of the customer with the need to complete assigned responsibilities. Responsible for the continuous training and development of associates. Ensure sales associates have the necessary training, knowledge and customer engagement skills to achieve sales goals.
- Responsible for ensuring adequate store staffing levels at all times. Ensure fast, friendly efficient checkout service.
- Possess a passion for animal welfare and wellness. Continually educate yourself on pets, animal nutrition, our pet products and services, through classes, on-the-job training, and regular product updates to ensure the customers’ confidence in your recommendations.
- Assist the General Manager in executing and achieving store financial budgets and store operation policy and procedures. Responsible for all record keeping functions, work schedules, and managing labor costs effectively.
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding the store budget, with regard to sales, profit measures and expense controls, shrink, proper FT/PT mix, reduction of accidents.
- Achieve average sale/transaction, customer count, Customer Loyalty Index (CLI) and attachment rate goals.
- Maintain all standards of the Operation Standards of Excellence throughout the store.
- Ensure 100% pricing accuracy.
- Obey all federal, state and local regulations.
- Follow all policies and procedures. Promote and ensure adherence to loss prevention policies, procedures and ordering.
- Adhere to and promote established safety procedures. Complete incident reports according to company policy as required.
- Assist General Managers in all aspects of the operation.
- Ensure all merchandising and operational programs are communicated to all store associates.
- Screen all applications for employment and present candidates to General Manager for final hiring.
- Responsible for measuring the performance effectiveness of all sales associates, provide ongoing feedback to associates and conduct annual performance evaluation.
- Assist the GM in planning out location changes needed to the grid to maximize sales.
- Adhere to and promote established safety procedures.
- Abide by and enforce all company policies and procedures, including but not limited to those designed to minimize shrink.
- Perform duties and assume responsibility as Manager on Duty (MOD) as needed.
- Perform all special or other projects as assigned.
This position directly supervises all sales associates and Team Lead.
The majority of job duties are conducted indoors, although merchandise receiving, merchandise carry-outs, or stock balancing will require leaving the store briefly. Must be able to lift 50 lbs and pull 2000 lbs utilizing material handling equipment. Must follow all safety policies and procedures to protect yourself and others from injury.
A high school diploma or G.E.D. is required. Some college coursework or college degree preferred.
Three years previous retail experience, including 1 year prior leadership and/or management experience is required for this position; prior retail management experience is generally preferred. A strong ability to train, coach, and motivate a team is critical as is a well- developed knowledge of sales technologies coupled with analytical abilities. Must possess demonstrated above average interpersonal, written and oral communication skills. In addition to having a professional appearance and demeanor, the applicant must also demonstrate a keen and genuine passion for animals and people. Must be licensed to operate a motor vehicle and have a clear driving record.
Petco - 23 months ago
Petco… where the healthy pets go
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that...