INTERN WORKSITE LOCATION : Portland, Or
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: November 11 – December 20, part time/flexible
**Note: Intern will be expected to assist with the campaign FULL TIME December 2 - 13
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: 6 Weeks (extendable)
FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THE INTERNSHIP: This is an unpaid internship
Mercy Corps responsibilities
For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive:
All materials necessary for this internship
Workstation and computer in Mercy Corps HQ
Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
Transportation to and from the office
All other costs associated with this internship
PROJECT DESCRIPTION :
We are looking for a shift leader to help run the Mercy corps Thank You Calling Campaign 2013. Our donors take care of people in need all over the world and it is time to let them know what a huge difference their gifts make and how much we appreciate their support.
The purpose of our calls will be first and foremost to thank donors for their generosity. We also want to provide them with information on how we have put their gifts to work should they be interested. It is our desire to keep our donors aware and engaged in our work as much as possible.
The calling campaign will run from December 2 nd – 13 th - weekdays: two shifts per day, 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm. One Saturday, December 7th: two shifts, 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm.
The shift leader will work for 6 weeks (three weeks before TY campaign and one week after) November 11 th – December 20 th , with the Donor Services Manager in the screening and onboarding of volunteers, running the calling shifts, and processing of reports and inquires as needed.
This is a great opportunity for someone interested in learning more about donor outreach and donor relationships within the context of a global non-profit. The intern will have regular engagement with experienced staff within the Resource Development department at Mercy Corps as well as other staff within our Headquarters office in Portland, Oregon.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES :
- To understand the components of a multi-day, volunteer-driven event, including scheduling, content and logistics.
- To learn the basics of volunteer management, including evaluating skills, providing feedback, training and thanking volunteers.
- To master basic navigation of The Raiser’s Edge, a leading fundraising database in the US.
- To understand the role that appropriate acknowledgement plays in the success of a fundraising operation.
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS :
- Assist in screening and hiring of volunteers for campaign.
- Assist in set up and tear down of calling shifts.
- Assist in volunteer training.
- Supervise call shifts when Donor Services Manager is unavailable (one shift per day).
- Answer general questions about Mercy Corps programs, funding, and other inquiries.
- Track volunteer sign in and attendance.
- Make Thank You Calls when able.
Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Previous telemarketing or customer service experience preferred.
- Must be passionate about Mercy Corps and our mission.
- Ability to deal with confidential information in a discreet and tactful manner.
- Enjoy talking with people and have an outgoing, pleasant, and friendly manner.
Mercy Corps is dedicated to helping the poor and oppressed in developing countries. The not-for-profit organization offers emergency relief...