The Estimator/Project Manager provides electrical and instrumentation estimating services for Tarpon’s Estimating Department. Additionally provides support for planning, organizing, direction, and evaluation of Electric and Controls construction projects according to schedule, specifications and budget. This individual must be able to take initiative, set priorities, and efficiently produce detailed end results.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Tarpon reserves the right to vary your duties and responsibilities at any time during the employment relationship. Our positions are general in nature, and when necessary, you may be asked to lend your talents, skills and abilities in areas that would not normally be associated for the position in which you were originally hired.
- Interpret customer RFQs for applications including E-Houses, switch gear line-ups, mobile substations, VFD buildings, switch houses, skids, and construction projects.
- Prepare competitive electrical estimates for upstream oil and gas facilities, modular buildings, and automation projects by using Tarpon’s estimating procedures.
- Document estimate build-up and communicate details effectively to internal and external clients.
- Select components and materials for the quotation, and pursue supplier pricing and delivery times.
- Coordinate activities with other departments that contribute to the estimating process.
- Mentor and instruct junior estimators in the proper methods and procedures of estimating and project administration.
- Interface with customers and contractors during pre- and post-tender applications to develop effective business relationships.
- Conduct cost analysis thoughout all phases of project, up to and including final completion.
- Participate and support marketing team in development of cost estimation and quotation tools, processes and knowledge sharing.
- Provide technical support to the marketing team.
- Coordinate project activities between senior management, accounting, business units, sales department, field offices, and the customer.
- Responsible for project controls, such as change management, quality management and schedule management.
- Create schedules and develop and maintain efficient procedures for the successful execution of projects.
- Assist the project team to ensure project deliverables, schedule, and milestones are achieved in accordance with project requirements.
- Coordinate with Tarpon’s Business Units and functional Managers to ensure project engineering and technical requirements are achieved.
- Control expenditures within limitations of project budget.
- Negotiate contracts with consulting firms and product vendors within the limits of the project.
- Prepare interim and completion reports and schedules for projects assigned.
- Evaluate, select, contract with and manage all required suppliers and subcontractors.
- Maintain and control distribution of all project documents and records.
- Responsible for some degree of E&C sales functions.
- Responsible for maintaining & coordinating inventory and/or assets.
- Responsible for invoicing projects, approving vendor invoices, and ensuring accuracy and real time information and reporting relative to project Account Receivables.
- Follow all policies and procedures relative to Tarpon’s HS&E Program, Anti-Drug Program, Personnel, and Project Management Systems.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Journeyman electrician with 2+ years estimating experience or estimator with 3+ years previous electrical estimating experience.
- Prior experience in sales, project management, and purchasing is preferred. Field experience is an asset.
- Exceptional time management skills; ability to prioritize and execute multiple tasks quickly.
- Thrives well in a busy, deadline oriented environment.
- Self-starter with the ability to work in a team environment or independently.
- Prior experience with estimating software is beneficial.
- Industrial oil and gas experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of the NEC code book is required.
- Post-secondary/technical education in a related field and/or formal project management training preferred.
- Strong organizational, communication and sales abilities.
- Previous estimating and/or project management experience with a technical background in the oil and gas industry is mandatory.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings and specifications quickly and accurately.
- Thorough understanding and ability to develop and complete cost estimates based on engineering documentation, specifications and drawings as well as construction, risk evaluation and material take-off techniques.
- Solid understanding and ability to use MS Excel software and a working knowledge of MS Office software and scheduling software (e.g. MS Project).
- Excellent communicator and negotiator, able to express ideas clearly and enthusiastically.
- Intermediate to advanced MS Office skills, including Outlook, Publisher, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Solid customer service skills.
- Monitor and follow applicable corporate directives, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Ability to perform required duties in a safety conscious manner.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Valid US driver’s license as travel to the field and outlying branch locations is required.
- Must be willing to submit to pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion and for-cause drug testing.
- Possession of a valid passport will be considered as beneficial.
Tarpon offers a very attractive compensation package that includes a competitive salary and enrollment into a full benefits package on the 1st day of the month following your hire date. Our benefits package includes Health, Dental, Life/AD&D, Disability coverage, paid vacation and holidays, and an employer matched 401K plan. We also offer a wide variety of voluntary care plans for our employoees to choose from. Tarpon has an open and team-oriented culture that focuses on communication, integrity, innovation and respect. Employees take pride in their work and are the single most important reason why Tarpon offers superior customer service.
This description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with the position. It is intended to accurately reflect the activities and requirements of the position, but duties may be added, deleted, or modified as necessary. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.