Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. At Argo Group, we leverage the success, discipline and expertise of our people and an understanding of our customers’ needs to provide a diverse portfolio of products and services. This approach helps those we insure drive down their ultimate cost through prevention and aggressive claims handling. Simply stated, our products and services help keep businesses in business.
Colony Specialty (a member of Argo Group) currently has a challenging opportunity for an Underwriter – Allied Medical located in either our Scottsdale, AZ or Irving, CA offices, reporting to the Underwriting Manager.
- Establish a profitable book of business with assigned agents.
- Manage assigned underwriting territory, including management of agents and travel to agent offices.
- Review large and complex policies to verify acceptability based upon company underwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority.
- Determine whether to accept, modify, or decline risks.
- Oversee and approve endorsements as indicated.
- Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges.
- Review state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within the state.
- Consult with general agents/brokers to obtain further information, quote rates, or explain underwriting guidelines.
- Create, analyze, and interpret data from various reports.
- Mentor less experienced team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and five to ten years of related insurance experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five to ten years underwriting experience with authority, preferably in excess and surplus lines.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Previous insurance educational work, IIA, RPLU and/or CPCU designation strongly preferred.
- Detail oriented with initiative and the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to travel.
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.