To underwrite new business and renewals according to authority level and established guidelines and participate in special projects.
· Review policies to verify acceptability based upon company underwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority.
· Determine whether to accept, modify, or decline risks.
· Oversee and approve endorsements as indicated.
· Resolve premium audit disputes within assigned territory.
· Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges.
· Review state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within the state.
· Conduct external agency audits.
· Consult with general agents/brokers to obtain further information, quote rates, or explain underwriting guidelines.
· Create, analyze, and interpret data from various reports.
· Manage assigned underwriting territory, including management of agents and travel to agent offices.
· Bachelor’s degree or one to three years related insurance experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· One to three years underwriting experience with authority, preferably in excess and surplus lines.
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU desirable.
· Detail oriented with initiative and the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
· Ability to travel.
· Excellent analytical skills.
· Proficient in the use of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Insurance designations/coursework desired.