HCC Specialty has a great opportunity for an Artisan Casualty Underwriter within our Underwriting department at our office located in Sacramento, CA.
Under supervision, the Artisan Underwriter reviews insurance applications to evaluate, classify, and rate each risk to determine acceptability, coverage, and pricing. Maintains and develops agency and/or broker relationships. Position has defined underwriting authority and business development responsibility. Incumbents in this position provide underwriting in single or multiple areas of liability. Performs industry related research related to forms, rates, and legal climate and provides recommendations to underwriters and management as necessary.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Evaluate new and renewal policy applications and related documents to classify and assess each risk, determine acceptability, assign rating, indicate endorsements and limits, and determine appropriate pricing.
- Contact and respond to verbal and written inquiries from brokers within designated timeframe to provide appropriate information and serve as an underwriting resource.
- Create and maintain all documentation (physical and electronic) including new and renewal bound files, underwriting worksheets, documentation of phone conversations, and other key documents according to departmental guidelines.
- Adhere to all company underwriting authority directives, underwriting guidelines, and other applicable company policies and procedures.
- Approve or deny within given authority or recommend approval or denial to higher authority.
- Cultivate relationships with internal and external contacts to facilitate the underwriting process, promote business development, and to remain abreast of industry trends.
- Serve as a resource to other departmental staff with regards to underwriting procedures and other departmental guidelines.
- Develop understanding of various factors that affect and influence policy rating and risk.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance or a related field or the equivalent education and/or experience
- Studies toward attaining a Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Associate in Commercial Underwriting (AU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) or equivalent insurance designation depending on specialty area
- May require state specific insurance license depending on specialty area
- Minimum of two years of relevant and progressive underwriting experience in specialty or related area that includes a working knowledge of state laws
HCCS underwrites a unique portfolio of specialty and niche products. These include: disability insurance for professional athletes and entertainers, kidnap & ransom, event cancellation for major sporting and entertainment events, earthquake insurance, special event liability, weather insurance, prize indemnity insurance, product recall insurance, primary and excess casualty insurance, various professional liability classes (including but not limited to employment practice liability and architects & engineers), various niche programs including public risk and lumber and wood products.
- Possess and have ability to apply basic knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures
- Good written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy
- Good organizational and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledgeable of industry changes, legal updates and technical developments related to applicable area of the Company’s business to proactively respond to changing business environment
- Proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office Package (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word)
HCC Specialty offers a competitive salary and employee benefit package. We are a successful, dynamic organization experiencing rapid growth and are seeking an energetic and confident individual to join our team of professionals. HCC Insurance Holdings, Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal-opportunity employers. Please visit www.hccspecialty.com and www.hcc.com for more information about our companies.
Monster - 13 months ago