The Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (BHHC) is a group of six insurance companies that are part of the Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Group, headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Our Workers Compensation Division provides premier workers compensation insurance coverage to employers across the country, with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Pasadena, Omaha, Alpharetta, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Dallas.
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway insurance group, BHHC has earned an enviable record of success in the insurance industry that is supported by an A++ A.M. Best rating, the highest rating they award insurance carriers. Our corporate size enables our organization to react swiftly and effectively to opportunities in the insurance marketplace. At the same time, our financial strength provides our agents and insureds the security rarely available in a regional specialty carrier.
We value each individual and recognize that attracting and retaining high quality talent is essential to the success of our company. Our structure minimizes bureaucracy and creates an environment that encourages our employees to see the direct effects of their hard work throughout the company. Each division provides hands on training and maintains a small company feel, creating an atmosphere in which 'team players' thrive.
We are always on the lookout for talent and appreciate your interest in our positions. Come grow with us!
We have an opening in our St. Louis, Missouri location for an Underwriter. The Underwriter will underwrite new and renewal business while exercising sound judgment and decision-making skills. Monitor business to ensure service and profitability goals are achieved. Develop and maintain productive relationships with agents and co-workers.
- Manage profitability and new business goals
- Develop prospects
- Negotiate price and rate
- Must be able to work effectively with Customer Service, Claim and Loss Control Representatives
- Must be a team player
- Must be able to proficiently underwrite new business accounts and renewal accounts within underwriting authority levels established
- Reviews applications for insurance coverage, reports from loss control consultants and other information to determine if application is acceptable for the program(s) available
- Graduate of a four year college or university; and at least one year of workers’ compensation underwriting experience.
- Employee must be able to accommodate overnight travel up to 4 consecutive nights per month.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE
- Disability and AD&D
- Retirement & Savings Plan with 100% employer match up to 5% of salary
- Education Assistance Reimbursement
- Paid Vacation and Holidays
Belief in Diversity
*The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company is committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin. Applicants encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment contingent upon successful completion of background investigation. Drug-free work environment. All resumes are held in confidence.*