The Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (BHHC) is a group of six insurance companies that are part of the Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Group, headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Our Workers Compensation Division provides premier workers compensation insurance coverage to employers across the country, with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Pasadena, Omaha, Alpharetta, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Dallas.
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway insurance group, BHHC has earned an enviable record of success in the insurance industry that is supported by an A++ A.M. Best rating, the highest rating they award insurance carriers. Our corporate size enables our organization to react swiftly and effectively to opportunities in the insurance marketplace. At the same time, our financial strength provides our agents and insureds the security rarely available in a regional specialty carrier.
We value each individual and recognize that attracting and retaining high quality talent is essential to the success of our company. Our structure minimizes bureaucracy and creates an environment that encourages our employees to see the direct effects of their hard work throughout the company. Each division provides hands on training and maintains a small company feel, creating an atmosphere in which 'team players' thrive.
We are always on the lookout for talent and appreciate your interest in our positions. Come grow with us!
We have an opening in our Dallas, Texas office for an Underwriting Manager. This position is responsible for leading an underwriting team to achieve production, service and profitability goals.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Produce and manage profitable multi-state workers’ compensation business
- Develop and maintain excellent broker relationships which would include travel
- Provide supervision and ongoing training and leadership to the underwriting staff
- Monitor business to ensure service standards and regulatory requirements are met
- Prepare, monitor and analyze inforce production results, underwriting segmentation and pricing exhibits
- Continually review business workflows and processes to ensure operations are efficient
- Audit business and processes to verify adherence to corporate standards & guidelines
- Must be able to work effectively with all departments and all levels of responsibility within BHHC
- Communicate using effective customer service skills with brokers/agencies, insureds/customers and internal departments
- EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Four year college degree required.
- INSURANCE INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE: At least four years of multi-state underwriting experience. Expert knowledge of workers’ compensation coverage preferred.
- SUPERVISORY EXPERIENCE: Strong leadership skills, initiative and experience managing both professional as well as office support staff.
- COMPUTER SKILLS: The candidate must possess proficiency of the Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- ANALYTICAL AND PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS: Ability to analyze empirical data and communicate findings in written and oral format. Understands how various issues affect and interact with each other.
- ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS: Strong organizational skills are essential. Candidate must be able to prioritize tasks effectively. Must be able to develop meeting agendas, objectives and timetables.
- LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to write reports intended for all levels of responsibility within BHHC as well as to external customers. Accurately prepares written business correspondence that is coherent, grammatically correct, effective and professional. Ability to communicate effectively to groups of customers, brokers and employees of BHHC.
- MATH ABILITY: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE:
- Disability and AD&D
- Retirement & Savings Plan with 100% employer match up to 5% of salary
- Education Assistance Reimbursement
- Paid Vacation and Holidays
Belief in Diversity
*The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company is committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin. Applicants encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment contingent upon successful completion of background investigation. Drug-free work environment. All resumes are held in confidence.*
BHHC - 16 months ago