The Unit Manager is responsible for the day to day
coordination and 24 hour oversight of all aspects of
his/her assigned clinical unit.
- Director of Nursing Services
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that required staffing levels are met for
each shift on a daily basis needed to render care
for the number of residents assigned to her/his
- Make sure that staffing level adjustments are made
each shift as needed and the Federal required posted
schedule is adjusted to reflect current actual
- Attend, participate and lead the weekly resident “At
Risk" meeting ensures resident care and condition
concerns are identified, interventions are
appropriate to cause and follow up is completed.
- Attend and participate in morning clinical review
- Attend and participate in PPS meetings as indicated.
- Attend and participate in monthly QA and A meetings,
as assigned, and assist with follow up for any
- Monitor provision of resident care by licensed
nurses and C.N.A.’s ensure required documentation is
- Review 24- hour resident change in condition report
daily ensure necessary follow-up occurs including
appropriate interventions implemented, physician and
family notified and required documentation has been
- Review resident medical records and documentation to
ensure clinical programs are in place per policy and
- Identify educational needs of staff discuss findings
with the Facility Educator and work collaboratively
to meet these needs.
- Participate on other committees as requested by the
Administrator/Director of Nursing Services.
- Ensure that resident care and documentation is in
compliance with state and federal rules and
- Comply with and ensure that staff is in compliance
with HIPAA rules and regulations, reporting any
known violations to the Administrator and Director
of Nursing Services.
- Ensure work assignments are made for assigned staff,
including breaks and lunches and staff is compliant
- Initiate disciplinary action as necessary for staff
members in collaboration with DON/ADON.
- Communicate with the appropriate department
manager/DON and participate with follow up and
resolution to any grievances/concerns from
personnel, residents or family members.
- Ensure physician orders are being followed.
- Assist the DON/ADON with preparing performance
evaluations as directed.
- Greet new admissions and families and assist nursing
staff with admission process as needed.
- Within 24 to 48 hours, ensure that all admission
documentation is complete including all required
clinical assessments and care plans.
- Monitor medication passes and treatment schedules to
ensure that medications are being administered as
ordered and that treatments are provided as
- Provide direct nursing care as necessary.
- Report problem areas to the Director of Nursing.
Assist in developing and implementing corrective
- Attend and participate in continuing education
programs to remain current with standards of nursing
practice and to maintain licensure requirements.
- Ensure that your nursing staff follows policy and
procedures, including appropriate dress code.
- Ensure that nursing staff participate in all fire
safety and disaster preparedness drills.
- Ensure that nursing personnel are follow established
infection control procedures when isolation
precautions become necessary.
- Ensure that all personnel operate nursing equipment
in a safe manner.
- Participate as needed and/or directed in
collaboration with the Resident Assessment/Care Plan
Coordinator in the development of a written care
plan (preliminary, interim and comprehensive for
each resident that identifies the problems/needs of
the resident, indicates the care to be given, goals
to be accomplished and which professional service is
responsible for each element of care.
- Ensure that all nursing care is provided in privacy
and that nursing service personnel knock before
entering the resident’s room.
- Report and assist with investigation of any
allegations of resident abuse including
misappropriation of resident property.
- Assist Social Services with ensuring that an Advance
Directive/Code Status has been obtained and
documented in appropriate places per policy.
- Participate in the annual survey and/or complaint
survey processes as directed by Administrator/DON
and assist as directed with any plans of correction
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and/or must be a
graduate of an approved RN program.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Two years of LTC experience.
- Acute Care experience preferred.
- Must be an actively licensed RN in assigned state(s)
CareOne - 17 months ago