Expeditors is a Fortune 500 company employing 13,000+ trained professionals in a worldwide network of 250+ locations with our corporate headquarters in downtown Seattle. Expeditors facilitates the sophisticated requirements of international trade through customized solutions and seamless, integrated information systems developed in-house by our growing department of IS professionals.
We encourage our employees to learn, to take risks, and to advance their career. Our company slogan, "You'd be surprised how far we'll go for you" is not mere hype; it is our commitment to surpass our customers’ expectations. At the heart of Expeditors you will find professionalism, leadership, and a friendly environment, all of which foster an innovative, customer-based approach to logistics.
Scope of Position:
Provide UNIX Systems Administration for the Disaster Recovery / High Availability (DR/HA) team through consulting, design, and implementation services in a project-driven environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide supportable, robust, and secure UNIX environments for business applications.
- Diagnose and isolate OS, server-side networking and application related problems, utilizing available resources to correct or create suitable work-arounds. Provide documentation and training for testing and troubleshooting procedures.
- Perform system builds and hardware upgrades, maintenance, repairs and replacements for UNIX servers across the enterprise.
- Provide helpdesk ticket and emergency support. Assist with UNIX problem diagnostics, system recovery, core dump analysis and disk recovery. Provides third-level production support for servers and data storage including after-hours on-call support.
- Develop, maintain and enhance tools for task automation using available programming and scripting languages.
- Develop and document standards for processes, procedures, configurations, and installations.
- Collaborate with development teams to create tools and install accounts and applications.
- Monitor system health for hardware/software failures. Provide disaster recovery documentation and procedures.
DR/HA Duties and Functional Responsibilities:
- Ensure the availability and recoverability of UNIX systems through the design, implementation, and documentation of redundant DR/HA infrastructures and strategies to meet business objectives.
- Stay current with best practices and technologies for DR/HA.
- Monitor UNIX system performance to identify DR/HA configuration, hardware, and tuning opportunities
- Mentor team members and train IS development, support and operations staff in DR/HA solutions.
- Assist with coordinating UNIX systems administration activities out of the secondary data center in the event of a catastrophic failure to ensure operational and support services are provided for critical business systems.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of Solaris systems administration in a multi-tiered environment
- Working knowledge of Sun/Oracle hardware products and Solaris 9 & 10
- Extensive scripting experience with sh, ksh, bash, awk, sed, and Perl
- Programming experience with C is a plus
- Knowledge of Legato Networker, Commvault and Sun Volume Manager a plus
- Familiarity with database design for clustering, mirroring, and replication
- Excellent communication (written & verbal) and troubleshooting skills
Systems Administration, Disaster Recovery/High Availability Manager
Expeditors is a global logistics company headquartered in Seattle, Washington. As a Fortune 500 company, we employ over 14,000 trained...