Founded in 1970, Urban Outfitters (www.UrbanOutfitters.com) operates more than 200 stores in the United States, Canada, and Europe, all offering an eclectic mix of merchandise. We stock our stores with what we love, calling on our—and our customer's—interest in contemporary art, music, and fashion. From men's & women's apparel and accessories to items for the apartment, we offer a lifestyle-specific shopping experience for the educated, urban-minded individual in the 18 to 30 year-old range—both online and in our stores as well as through our catalog.
Buyer or Senior Buyer
Assistant Buyer and/or Merchandise Assistant
To deliver the sales and profit plan for a specific area (category may be determined by department or by individual classes) through the precise execution of a well-conceived merchandise strategy. Contribute to e-commerce marketing efforts and lead product development of online exclusive product.
- To motivate, lead, develop and coach the Assistant Buyers/Merchandise Assistants in order to retain the best possible team
- Analyze weekly and monthly sales, stock and on-order with the goal of optimizing sales and minimizing markdowns.
- With Buyer/Senior Buyer recognize and react quickly to all trends, both major and minor, in the business, whether they be product related or store related.
OTB (Open-To-Buy) Management
- Work with the Buyer and Planner on revising plans to ensure that sales and margin are optimized by class.
- Ensure that buying direction is on target based on partnering with Buyer and comprehensive analysis of the business, e.g., last year results, current trends, attribute selling, etc.
- Manage the financial elements of the business, e.g., OTB, IMU, MD’s, etc. for assigned classes
- Ensure that the receipt plan is tightly managed and that orders are placed on a timely basis (neither too late or too soon) and that receipts flow correctly throughout the month.
- Manage styleouts to achieve, to the greatest possible degree, that each item is a winner and that the assortment is properly balanced and invested by ensuring there is an appropriate balance of looks, silhouettes, fabrics, patterns, color, price points, etc., and that we are taking the correct inventory position with key items and fringe and/or new items.
- Effectively manage Catalog assortment as a profitable subset of .com inventory: Have point of view in presentation of final catalog pagination; gain knowledge in merchandise selection process; work efficiently with catalog team on product information and color, and manage catalog inventory based on previous history and current trend.
- Assist in selecting new product for e-commerce division from retail’s assortment. Suggest category extensions / web exclusives to further growth.
- Contribute to marketing efforts for catalogs and email campaigns. Present concepts and merchandise stories that promote product assortment and drive volume.
- Work with Designer(s) and market vendors to develop trend right product while managing the time line on all product development.
- Develop effective and beneficial relationships with key vendors.
- Manage vendor performance through effective negotiation and communication to maximize profitability, achieve financial objectives and ensure optimal supply chain operations.
- Develop collaborative relationships with internal colleagues including: production, planning, creative, catalog, DC, Call Center and retail teams. Gain understanding of all roles and responsibilities within the organization and be flexible and cooperative in working with teams to achieve a common goal.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the UO target customer and the ability to select the appropriate product/trend that will appeal to the customer and meet their expectations.
- The ability to recognize a new fashion trend, item, look, fabrication, for a specific category early in its lifecycle. In addition, should be able to recognize an opportunity and be able to translate that insight into an assortment and buy.
- The ability to manage an Open-To-Buy (OTB).
- Exhibit retail math skills that allow the individual to achieve bottom line performance. This should allow them to make the switch from strategic plans to executing the plans with the appropriate assortment.
- Exhibit a professional communication style (both verbal and written) as shown through strong presentation skills, excellent organizational skills and a high sense of urgency.
- The ability to prioritize tasks in order to balance the immediate and long term needs of the business.
- The ability to work independently, self-motivated and results oriented in conjunction with the ability to lead and manage a team.
- Strong negotiation, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) and the ability to learn new computer systems quickly and retain the information
Bachelors Degree in Fashion, Business or a related field.
2 to 3 years in retail or direct buying office, store management or business management in a related field (wholesale or manufacturing)
An Associate Buyer should expect to spend 2 years gaining experience and mastering the required skills prior to being considered for promotion to the Buyer level
Some travel required.
Urban Outfitters Inc. - 23 months ago
Urban Outfitters, Inc. is a lifestyle specialty retail company that operates under the Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Free People and...