Founded in 1970, Urban Outfitters (www.UrbanOutfitters.com) operates more than 200 stores in the United States, Canada, and Europe, all offering an eclectic mix of merchandise. We stock our stores with what we love, calling on our—and our customer's—interest in contemporary art, music, and fashion. From men's & women's apparel and accessories to items for the apartment, we offer a lifestyle-specific shopping experience for the educated, urban-minded individual in the 18 to 30 year-old range—both online and in our stores as well as through our catalog.
Divisional Merchandise Manager
Associate and Assistant Buyers
To deliver the sales and profit plan for selected classes within a specific division through the precise execution of a well-conceived merchandise strategy. Contribute to e-commerce marketing efforts and lead product development of online exclusive product.
Founded in 1970, Urban Outfitters (www.UrbanOutfitters.com) operates more than 200 stores in the United States, Canada, and Europe, all offering an eclectic mix of merchandise. We stock our stores with what we love, calling on our—and our customer's—interest in contemporary art, music, and fashion. From men's & women's apparel and accessories to items for the apartment, we offer a lifestyle-specific shopping experience for the educated, urban-minded individual in the 18 to 30 year-old range—both online and in our stores as well as through our catalog..
- Build an assortment that is brand appropriate
- Create a balanced assortment in terms of: fashion vision, quality, fit, value, price point, style/SKU count and key item depth
- Continually create newness in concepts to add freshness to the assortment
- Edit to appropriate blend of private label and branded product
- Suggest category extensions / web exclusives to further growth
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AND DESIGN
- Work together with planners to develop effective line plans
- Demonstrate understanding of industry trends and apply them to the product development process
- Generate appropriate quantity and quality of innovative and creative ideas
- Build a relationship with the Design team that fosters development of innovative, relevant and fashion-forward designs
- Build a relationship with the Production team that takes into consideration manufacturing limitations, yet pushes our expectations of quality, lead time and price/value
MARKET SKILLS AND AWARENESS
- Represent the brand with integrity and authority
- Build a relationship with the market that results in a differentiated product mix
- Sell” the brand and attract suppliers and new brands to Urban’s mix
- Exhibit market awareness through knowledge of relevant brands and reference points
- Negotiate price, delivery, exclusivity, and terms to support business objective
- Manage the Open to Buy (OTB) plan by utilizing flow sheets and item plans, and know when to change the OTB based on business needs
- Analyze the business and react with timely reorders and cancellations
- Maximize markdown dollars and understand seasonality
- Understand core customer and buys to relevant attributes
- Partner with the Direct team to offer a balanced assortment and a consistent customer experience with our stores
- Support online expansion and testing opportunities
- Merchandise catalogs to inspire the customer, drive traffic, and enhance the brand image
- Work cohesively to create multi-channel synergy and achieve overall financial goals for the brand
COMMUNICATION AND LEADERSHIP
- Communicate clearly, concisely, timely and professionally
- Listen to others; be a team player and a healthy competitor
- Keep individual, division, and total company goals in mind when making decisions
- Be decisive and support decisions with facts and analysis
- Provide leadership to employees and to peers and fosters an environment of continual training and development
- Support the recruiting efforts of the brand by bringing in new talent and selling the company to those we wish to attract
- Entrepreneurial in spirit: Thinks and acts like an owner.
- Strong understanding of the Urban Outfitters customer and the ability to select the appropriate assortments that will appeal to the customer and meet their expectations
- Strong understanding of industry trends with the ability to translate them into innovative, relevant and fashion-forward designs.
- Ability to build an assortment that is brand appropriate and balanced.
- Strong market awareness exhibited through knowledge of relevant brands and reference points
- Solid planning skills with experience managing an Open-To-Buy.
- Ability to “sell” the brand and attract suppliers and new brands to the mix.
- Clear communicator with the ability to present and support a point of view.
- A team player with the ability to provide leadership, training and motivation to employees and peers.
Four-year degree in Fashion or Business preferred
- 5+ years of progressive women’s accessories or apparel buying experience with a retailer
- Experience managing Assistant and Associate Buyers
A Buyer should expect to spend 1-2 years gaining experience and mastering the required skills prior to consideration for promotion to Senior Buyer level.
Travel Some foreign and domestic travel required
Urban Outfitters, Inc. is a lifestyle specialty retail company that operates under the Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Free People and...