HRA is participating in an initiative, in conjunction with the Mayor's Office of Veterans' Affairs (MOVA), that ensures veterans receive the services to which they and their family are entitled as a result of military service and works on behalf of veterans to secure information and connectivity with the appropriate agency. HRA’s Veterans Outreach Program is seeking to hire three (3) Community Coordinators to function as Veteran Benefit Counselors as part of MOVA staff who will:
eligible benefits through the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- Interview and counsel veterans, service personnel and their dependents to inform them of
appeals applications regarding unfavorable rating decisions for presentation to the
- Assist clients in completing VA applications correctly and submitting claims to the VA.
- Obtain and evaluates legal, medical and related evidence in support of VA claims.
- Working with the New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs (NYSDVA), prepare
Board of Veterans Appeals.
preparing VA claims.
- Act as veteran representative, under power of attorney, in reviewing records and
- Maintain appropriate records, reports, files and diaries on all services performed and
medical and legal professionals.
- Interpret and explain benefit policies and decisions to veterans and dependents.
- Counsel and assist individuals with full discretion while working in conjunction with
Minimum Qual Requirements
- Perform other duties as required by the office.
- Extensive fieldwork throughout the five (5) boroughs.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
2. High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in "1" above.
knowledge of the rules, regulations and procedures of VA pertaining to the presentation of
- Applicants currently certified as a Veteran Service Officer (VSO) with the VA are preferred.
- Bi-lingual a plus (Spanish preferred), but not required.
- Working knowledge of federal laws pertaining to veterans’ rights and benefits; solid
claims and appeals.
- Excellent customer service skills and consideration of client’s privacy a must.
Click "Apply Button" now.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.