Reporting to the Chief Product Officer, the VP of Engineering will be responsible for leading the MakerBot engineering team (Mechanical/Electrical/R&D) to develop innovative and compelling products in a fast paced and high energy environment. This position requires proven technical credentials in addition to a solid history of leadership, mentoring, costing/budgeting, manufacturing support, and process creation. This role will work with our team to create and maintain the next generation of desktop 3D printers, scanners, electronics, enclosures, accessories and components. You will work with Product Managers, Engineers, Sales, Marketing, Operations and other cross functional teams to execute against the product roadmap and accelerate product development cycle times.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Continual development of a long-term, strategic, cross-functional engineering plan
- Coach and mentor the Mechanical, Electrical and R&D teams to deliver innovative, reliable, best-in-class products for the commercial, prosumer and consumer markets
- Provide top-down support for engineering product development policies, procedures, methodologies and metrics
- Budget management, tracking and reporting
- Responsible for product engineering strategy decisions and presenting those decisions to senior leadership
- Lead technical recruiting and retention efforts
- Responsible for on-time transition of Bill of Material (BOM) to manufacturing
- Responsible for reporting prototype development progress to leadership
- Signing off on DFMA/R strategies
- Negotiation and approval of engineering tooling plans
- Interact closely with Product, Manufacturing, Support and Sales/Marketing teams
- Manage schedules and mitigation plans to ensure on-time delivery of products
- Final Approval on Engineering Change Requests (ECR)
- Manage Engineering Intellectual Property (IP) ideas and submissions
- Manage internal/external contractors/consultants
- Other duties as assigned.
- Impeccable communication skills and ability to interact with a wide range of stakeholders
- Master's Degree in electrical/mechanical engineering with a proven history of design
- Proven history of product execution, consumer product development preferred
- Demonstrated team building and leadership qualities
- Demonstrated ‘hands on' approach
- Engineering and manufacturing experience in USA and Asia
- Knowledge of injection molding tooling process, costs and risks
- Experience leading product development teams
- Familiarity with 3D printing or MakerBot
- Design experience in mechatronic products
Founded in 2009, Brooklyn-based MakerBot has grown to be a global leader in desktop 3D printing. MakerBot had 16 percent market share of all 3D printers (industrial and personal) made from 2009 to the end of 2011. In 2011, MakerBot had 21.6 percent market share. In 2012, MakerBot estimates that it now has a 25 percent market share of the 3D printer market. There are more than 15,000 MakerBot Desktop 3D Printers in use by engineers, designers, researchers, and people who just like to make things. The MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D Printer has been named Popular Mechanics “Overall Winner” for best 3D printer and was honored as one of Time Magazine's Best Inventions of 2012. In addition, MakerBot was named “Best Emerging Tech” at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show, won Popular Mechanics Editor's Choice Award, the Popular Science Product of the Year, and recently was awarded the Fast Company 2012 Innovation by Design Award as well as being named by Fast Company as “One of the World's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Consumer Electronics.” And MakerBot was recently awarded a TechCrunch Crunchies Award for best hardware start-up. The company has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, the Economist, Wired, The Colbert Report, Fast Company, Engadget, Make: Magazine, Rolling Stone, Time.com, IEEE Spectrum, CNN, Financial Times, NPR, Vogue Italia and many others.
Makerbot Industries - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard -
What’s it like to work at MakerBot?
Are you interested in joining a collaborative, creative environment where innovation and hard...