The Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (BHHC) is a group of six insurance companies that are part of the Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Group, headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Our Workers Compensation Division provides premier workers compensation insurance coverage to employers across the country, with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Pasadena, Omaha, Alpharetta, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Dallas.
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway insurance group, BHHC has earned an enviable record of success in the insurance industry that is supported by an A++ A.M. Best rating, the highest rating they award insurance carriers. Our corporate size enables our organization to react swiftly and effectively to opportunities in the insurance marketplace. At the same time, our financial strength provides our agents and insureds the security rarely available in a regional specialty carrier.
We value each individual and recognize that attracting and retaining high quality talent is essential to the success of our company. Our structure minimizes bureaucracy and creates an environment that encourages our employees to see the direct effects of their hard work throughout the company. Each division provides hands on training and maintains a small company feel, creating an atmosphere in which 'team players' thrive.
We have an opening in our San Francisco, California office for a VP of Information Technology/Chief Information Officer.
The VP – Information Technology/Chief Information Officer (“CIO”) will provide the technology leadership in development and implementation of the company’s information technology program. The CIO, in collaboration with the IT Steering Committee, will lead the Company in planning and developing enterprise information systems to support Underwriting, Claims, Actuarial, Finance and Management Information Systems. The CIO will drive towards a more efficient and focused enterprise-wide IT operation.
The position will play a key role in the planning and development of a replacement policy management system through participation in the program Steering Committee and providing thought leadership to direct reports involved in the program.
This position may manage up to 5 subordinate supervisors who supervise a total of 50 employees and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. The CIO carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
· Provide thought leadership in the upgrade of our legacy policy system, including playing a key role in staffing and developing the system.
· Maintenance of existing technology platforms to support the business.
· Timely delivery of system upgrades or software implementations.
· Manage infrastructure group including phones, laptops, mobile communication devices, and data servers.
· Oversee and evaluate system security and back-up procedures.
· Collaborate with and take direction from the IT Steering Committee on key initiatives involving IT.
· Promote strong communication channels between IT and business stakeholders understanding that IT is a critical support function for the business.
· Execute and manage IT services based on mutually agreed upon delivery expectations.
· Determine appropriate staffing needs of the department and make recommendation to the President to ensure business needs are met in a timely fashion.
· Oversee the IT department and development of projects and programming to advance corporate objectives.
· Ensure data quality for use in finance and actuarial reports as well as business management reports utilized by management.
· Ensure continuous delivery of business services through oversight of service level agreements with customers and monitoring of IT systems performance.
· Self-motivator, independent, cooperative, flexible and creative.
· EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; more than 5 years experience managing the IT function, preferably for a financial services or insurance firm. Master’s degree in Computer Science or Business Administration or related field is highly desirable.
· LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations written in English. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
· MATH ABILITY: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
· REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
· TECHNICAL SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have experience working with .NET and Delphi programming languages, relational databases on data queries (MS-SQL is a plus), database-reporting tools (e.g. MS-ACCESS, Crystal Reports), claims business analysts and writing basic instructions to programmers for more complex data queries required for data analysis, testing reports or data feeds, and have knowledge of current technologies in telecommunications (e.g. MS Office tools and Windows).
· COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft word processing software; Microsoft spreadsheet software; and be proficient on applicable databases, systems and vendor software programs.
· CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: None required.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE
· Disability and AD&D
· Retirement & Savings Plan with 100% employer match up to 5% of salary
· Education Assistance Reimbursement
· Paid Vacation and Holidays