CEC desires to expand its utility partnerships to extend its reach of CEC-based Solar Gardens (SG). VPs of Business Development (BD) will directly market to utilities throughout their territory to establish successful solar garden projects in a timely fashion.
Utility partners: contact targeted utility organizations, at a C and VP-level, to present the CEC / SG value proposition and to move them to contract commitment with the CEC to create a community solar program and SGs within their territory. BD are responsible for managing the ongoing executive level relationship with the utility as well as assisting in the land acquisition process for SG sites, facilitating financial analysis assistance and all other CEC corporate support initiatives and providing guidance and oversight for customer sales and marketing initiatives.
Required skills: strong background of understanding how businesses work – entrepreneurial and/or real estate development experience is helpful but not required. Applicant must have excellent phone and presentation skills, business development / strategic sales experience of $100,000+ solutions to company execs, clear and concise communicator, comfortable with accessing and working with C-level personnel and navigating through large and small organizations, self-motivated, tenacious, able to work with minimal supervision and able to travel as needed (2-5 times a month). Utility and energy experience helpful but not required.
Location: the right candidate can be located nearly anywhere in the United States. CEC is currently looking to fill several positions: one or more based out of the company’s Boulder, Colorado office, the East Coast of the U.S. and California.
The successful candidate will be pro-active, aggressive, and a self-directed individual who thrives on the challenge of a fast growth, rapidly evolving and complex market. This individual will have an outstanding track record with broad general management skills with particular emphasis on strategic sales and project development. Experiences in renewable energy, development of energy generation sources and solar familiarity are also beneficial, but not required. The ideal candidate will have proven success building and managing a sales funnel to support forward looking revenue goals.
This candidate will be an effective sales leader with the ability to gain high-level access to potential utility and industry partners. Experience with regulatory bodies that may have an impact on markets and strategic directions for the company are a plus. A strong existing network within the utility and/or energy development industries is also a plus, but not required.
The individual must possess a strategic sales background and bring a clear and demonstrable record of credibility in deriving business models and strategies for a new region. It will be helpful, although not required, if the individual can demonstrate outstanding achievements in the utility, renewable energy and construction or real estate markets.
Personal credibility, enthusiasm and a flair for communication are essential, together with excellent motivational skills and a collaborative approach to achieving objectives. This is a role of extraordinary scope and potential in a progressive and rapidly expanding business within the dynamic renewable energy marketplace.
1. Plan, develop, and implement strategies for expanding the company’s utility program footprint, generating additional SG facilities and revenues for the company in key areas (utility partner development).
2. Develop a business plan and subsequent deal pipeline of utilities and utility-partner SG projects to progress and attain revenue objectives, revising objectives and plans in accordance with changing business conditions where necessary.
3. Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of current and pending utility programs with the intent of leveraging existing relationships to drive explosive growth.
4. Understand and guide the development of renewable energy projects with an eye toward current and future incentives.
5. Support a comprehensive market persona for the company and lead representation in the utility channel within the designated territory. Be a visible, outward-facing company representative to utility partners, channel partners and constituents.
- A proven track record of successfully building a ground floor business as a senior business development Executive.
- Entrepreneurial approach with seasoned background; the individual must have the ability to articulate the vision for the business within the utility channel and execute accordingly.
- A current and effective Rolodex within utilities and renewable energy developers (not a must) and the ability to drive relationships that: a) leverage a proven infrastructure and existing relationships; b) take advantage of current and planned utility programs; and c) capitalize on community solar opportunities.
- Comprehension of utility REC programs and their impact on the geography (not a must).
- Exhibit strong natural leadership abilities that encourage a team-based environment, and an excellent track record in achieving a positive impact on both internal and client organizations.
- Possess a strong presence with excellent people management skills .
- Ability to easily balance competing priorities, complex situations, and tight deadlines.
- The candidate will possess high quality standards, an exceptional attention to detail and impeccable integrity.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations and to travel nationally as needed.
- High level of reliability and professional conduct.
Compensation: Base plus commission, commensurate with experience, with total earnings expected in excess of $200,000 / year ($220,000 at quota, no earning limits). CEC stock options for all employees.