VP, Underwriting (Mortgage)
The VP, Underwriting will manage, direct and implement underwriting/operational strategies and objectives to ensure the achievement of the department’s goals to deliver high quality loan decisions in accordance with credit policy and support superior customer service levels.
- Serve as an operational leader to manage a 30+ person Underwriting department.
This individual must assure high quality mortgage services are provided and that workflow is effectively managed within the team.
- Assume direct management responsibility for the underwriting management team and coach, mentor and develop them to ensure a consistent application and interpretation of credit policy to all of the decision makers within their teams.
- Ensure proper underwriting standards are implemented in order to safeguard company assets and to enable appropriate secondary marketing.
- Model and provide underwriting operational leadership to implement process improvements to deliver cost effective and high quality processes that are consistent with the company vision, direction, policy, and business strategies.
- Direct Underwriters on the most complex transactions and ensure business originated is in accordance with credit policy, investor guidelines and regulatory compliance.
- Provides risk-based information to support tactical and strategic decision making and risk modeling functions.
- Develop and implement credit risk standards for products or assets the company finances or underwrites.
- Proactive identification, communication and management of risk issues within the Pulte Mortgage portfolio.
- Develop relationships with external industry partners and governmental agencies and support business development while fostering successful relationships.
- Monitor all macroeconomic indications as well as legislative/regulatory updates that might have a material impact on the Underwriting strategies and communicate the findings, as appropriate, to the necessary stakeholders.
- Administer, develop and facilitate training/presentations to small and large audiences for all levels of the organization.
- Partner with Executive team and other support departments within the organization to ensure alignment and achievement of company risk profile and goals.
With Direct Reports
Ensures appropriate staffing to meet department needs
Provides developmental opportunities for employee growth through identification of internal and external training opportunities
Provides continuous coaching with regard to functional and leadership standards (technical skills and behaviors)
Bachelor’s degree in Management, Business, Finance, Operations or a related discipline
- Minimum of 7-10 years in managing financial service operations including credit and appraisal underwriting.
- Extensive knowledge of mortgage and equity underwriting, products, services, processes and procedures; VA, FHA, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and private investor requirements; and consumer compliance laws and regulations.
- Credit analysis and underwriting experience, including financial accounting principles, loan structuring, residential lending experience and knowledge of loan documentation is required.
- Solid mortgage background with emphasis on credit or risk management and significant exposure to origination, servicing, and capital markets.
- Highly effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills including skill in negotiation and persuasion, directing/guiding team members, presenting complex information, including findings and conclusions that may be impacted by laws.
- Ability to collaborate with external institutions on a number of cross-platform initiatives.
- Conforming, government (prefer LAPP/DE) product experience a must.
- FHA DE; VA LAP designations preferred.