American Diabetes Association seeks a strategic, dynamic and imaginative development professional. An entrepreneurial visionary who builds upon the American Diabetes Association and its Research Foundation's existing programs while formulating methods to achieve even greater levels of success. The Vice President will conceptualize, plan and execute a strategic and coordinated program to identify and create opportunities to advance diabetes research, advocacy and information through an annual major gift fund, the silent phase of a major gift campaign and planned giving efforts. The Vice President manages the Research Foundation Board meetings, and the recruitment and retention of high impact volunteers. The Vice President reports to the Chief Revenue Officer and works closely with the CEO and the Chief Field and Scientific/Medical Officers. The Vice President will also work one on one with the National Chair of the Board, the Chair of the Research Foundation and Board members. This position also works closely with most divisions and/or departments within the organization. The Vice President supervises a staff of 15.
- Strategically plan and implement a multi-year $250,000,000 campaign for research; Pathway to Stop Diabetes.
- Expand philanthropic relations, engaging volunteers and soliciting gifts of $1 million and above.
- Plan, manage and execute all facets of an annual major gift effort to include cash & gifts of stock and secure annually at least 150 planned giving agreements for approximately $7 million in future bequest income.
- Set annual performance objectives for staff for major and planned giving efforts.
- Manage a portfolio of high wealth major gift prospects on a nationwide basis.
- Establish a centralized and coordinated approach to a major and planned gift program focused on identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of high wealth individuals.
- Design and execute a national training program on donor development.
- Work closely with the CRO, CEO, CS/MO and Board Chairs on the identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Lead the Research Foundation Board Development Committee in their work of identifying and cultivating future Board members with a secured commitment of $100,000 each.
- Represent the Association with outside organizations as appropriate.
When you join us, you can expect competitive salaries, comprehensive benefit programs, a true focus on work-life balance, training and support from your team leaders, and the latest resources available to ensure that you succeed in meeting your goals and objectives.
- Bachelor's degree is required, a master's degree is preferred
- 10+ years of progressive major gift work and project management
- Proven track record of securing $1 million gifts of cash and/or stock
- Solid background in financial management, forecasting and planning
- Expertise in guiding philanthropic decisions with the highest level of professionalism
- Highly skilled at constructing and executing strategies that produce significant outcomes
- Knowledge of major and planned giving vehicles including bequests, charitable gift annuities, and trusts
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Ability to work with high impact volunteers, board members, ambassadors and senior level staff
- Ability to work independently and particularly to formulate creative strategies for major gift advancement
- Commitment to goal attainment, high degree of initiative, and ability to motivate and engage high level volunteers and donors
- Demonstrated ability to work with high degree of autonomy and accountability and to be a team player
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Capital campaign gift cultivation and solicitation experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate effectively and professionally with executive staff and board members and to build productive relationships with major gift prospects
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to remain focused on completing assignments
- Strong attention to detail
- Outstanding staff management & leadership skills
- Ability to travel 25-50%
An equal opportunity employer.
“Together we can Stop Diabetes”