University of Idaho
(Visiting Faculty/Temporary Lecturer)
Virtual Technology and Design
Open for Recruitment: April 30, 2013 - May 27, 2013
Announcement #: 13100016023
Salary Range: $50,000 - $76,000
Full or Part Time: Full Time
Online Application ( Apply Here )
Resume or Vitae
Letter of Application
Statement of Teaching and Research Objectives
Program: Virtual Technology and Design
Faculty Position: Visiting Faculty/Temporary Lecturer of Virtual Technology and Design
The Virtual Technology and Design (VTD) Visiting Instructor Faculty opening is available for the 2013-2014 academic year. Virtual Technology and Design (VTD) and the College of Art and Architecture is seeking a dynamic innovator who will blend integrated design thinking with emerging virtual technologies to conceive solutions that give form and substance to our daily activities and explore a trans-disciplinary approach to an electronically mediated design processes. The successful candidate will maintain close ties to private enterprise, supporting opportunities for mutually beneficial projects. Additionally, they will contribute to the student experience and college vision in at least two of the following three areas:
Candidates for the position should be qualified to teach undergraduate VTD design and technical studios and integrate the use of virtual technologies and research into design courses. The candidates are expected support the college vision to teach the integrated concepts of art, design, and technology with a focus on cultural and environmental stewardship.
- Interactive virtual environments: Designing and developing interactive virtual worlds for use in entrainment and non-entertainment activities.
- Professional practice and entrepreneurship: Addressing the complexities of envisioning, creating and managing professional contracts and businesses.
- Design Fabrication: Translation of virtual forms into physical artifacts and vice-versa.
- Teaching: Virtual Technology and Design is a studio-based program. The candidate will have the opportunity to teach undergraduate VTD studios, contribute to the integrated classes within the college, and pursue an area related to their area of specialty that compliments the program.
- Service: Promote and expand entrepreneurial relationships with professional communities connected to Virtual Technology and Design.
Must: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.*
- Terminal Master’s degree in a design discipline or an undergraduate degree in a design discipline with related professional experience
- Demonstrated experience in teaching design and technologies utilized in digital simulation, visualization and/or digital gaming development
- Demonstrated technology skills and ability to:
- teach Autodesk’s 3D Studio Max at the entry and advanced levels.
- teach related 2D digital technologies at the entry and advanced levels.
- engage students in a design/development experience utilizing multiuser virtual worlds including Unity 3D and Jibe.
- Demonstrated innovative leadership experience in trans-disciplinary design environments (academic or private sector)
- Doctorate or professional degree
- Demonstrated experience in applied research or research and development (R&D) with technologies utilized in digital simulation or digital gaming development
- 3 – 5 years of professional practice in an industry designing and implementing digital simulation or digital gaming experiences
- Salary based on professional and academic experience.
VTD is a four-year curriculum leading to a B.S. in Virtual Technology and Design. As an integral part of the College of Art and Architecture (CAA), the VTD program is further enriched by its close affiliation with programs in Architecture, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture and Art and Design. Within a University exploring new directions in higher education, the College is continually evolving itself to deliver rich experiences in interdisciplinary learning. For example, VTD collaborates with faculty and students within the departments of Theatre, Microbiology, Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, Art and Architecture, Lionel Hampton School of Music, Food Science & Toxicology, Accounting, Family and Consumer Sciences and Transportation Engineering. Furthermore, VTD also collaborates with disciplines in the private and non-profit sectors including security, law enforcement and medical. All of these collaborations have resulted in projects that included live theatre performances, visualization/entertainment animations, virtual collaborative learning environments and training simulators.
To enrich education through diversity, the University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
University of Idaho - 7 months ago