Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Securing Travel, Protecting People - At the Transportation Security Administration, you will serve in a high-stakes environment to safeguard the American way of life. In cities across the country, you would secure airports, seaports, railroads, highways, and/or public transit systems, thus protecting America's transportation infrastructure and ensuring freedom of movement for people and commerce. For additional information about our agency please:
- You must possess U.S. Citizenship or be a U.S. National.
- You must complete a favorable Background Investigation (BI).
DUTIES: Back to top
This Administrative Officer position is located in the Workforce Engagement Learning Laboratory, Workforce Engagement and Development Division, Office of Training and Workforce Engagement (OTWE), Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If selected for this position, you will serve as the Visual Information Specialist for OTWE projects and initiatives and will be responsible for communicating information through visual means in an effective manner that conveys the intended message to the intended audience. Duties will include:
- Designing, developing, and managing a wide range of design products/projects such as meetings/events/conference materials, social media elements, tradeshow exhibits, forms, brochures, posters, websites, single and multiple page print and digital publications, promotional displays, packaging, and signage systems for a diversified nationwide audience.
- Consulting and working closely with staff to define requirements, developing concepts and implementing action plans for projects or initiatives. Articulating customer needs into visual requirements taking into consideration program objectives, adapting to changing circumstances, and responding constructively to feedback. Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, set project priorities, establish deadlines, and ensure timely completion of work assignments. Completed design work must be in compliance with DHS and TSA design standards.
- Using standard graphic design industry tools such as color swatch books, photo libraries, image scanners and photocopiers to develop products; graphical software applications (in both Macintosh and Windows environments) such as Adobe Creative Suite InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator using master pages and style sheets and other software resources to apply design standards elements, including logotype, way-finding system, font and color onto the designs of electronic and print products.
- Providing guidance to coordinate the design and develop electronic and print publishing products, publishing production methods, user-centered design, web standards, accessibility issues, web-safe graphic solutions for social network and other digital/web initiatives, and other evolving communication mediums to provide high-quality, cost-effective, efficient, and timely services.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
To qualify for the SV-H Pay Band (equivalent to GS-12), you must have one year of specialized experience at the SV-G Pay Band or GS-11 in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private sector. Specialized experience is defined as experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Such experience includes experience in graphic design and print/electronic publishing processes using graphic software to apply design standards.
NOTE: Credit for experience is given based on a 40-hour work week. Part-time experience is credited on a part-time ratio, i.e., working 20 hours per week for two months equals one month of experience. No additional credit is given for overtime.
You must meet the qualification requirements for this position no later than the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You will be evaluated based on a comparison of the position requirements against the quality and extent of the experience and/or related education as reflected in your resume and supporting documentation. You are encouraged to ensure work experiences clearly show possession of the competencies required for this position. We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and any supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your category placement may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job.
When completing the assessment questionnaire for this position, you will be prompted to elect if you wish for your application to be considered as External (where Veterans' Preference applies), as Status (current or former Federal Employees), and/or Internal to TSA as a current permanent or competitive temporary employee. At that time, please select the answer(s) that apply to you and your application to this position.
To preview questions please click here .
BENEFITS: Back to top
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to www.dhs.gov/careers and select "benefits."
Eligibility to apply for other Federal positions: TSA is an Excepted Service agency exempt from most of Title 5 United States Code, including regulations which apply to displaced Federal employees (CTAP/ICTAP) of other agencies, and employment with TSA does not confer "Competitive Status" that generally results from selection and service in Competitive Service agencies. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) has established an Interchange Agreement, which allows most permanent TSA employees to apply and be considered for vacancies in Competitive Service agencies. Information from OPM on this or other Interchange Agreements is available at: http://www.opm.gov.
To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully pass a background investigation as a condition of placement into this position.
TSA employees who are absent for the purpose of performing military duty may apply for any vacancies announced in their absence.
Payment of relocation expenses (Permanent Change of Station) is not authorized. Qualified non-competitive eligible candidates may be referred for consideration on a separate, unranked list. More than one position may be filled from this announcement.
Transportation Security Administration - 10 months ago
Should the Department of Homeland Security (www.dhs.gov) raise the current threat level, it would seemingly increase to a High Condition...