Serves as a member of the Web and Portal Services team collectively responsible for development and maintenance of the college's websites, web applications and portal, including structure, standards and content. This position will be responsible for designing and implementing user-friendly and functional web pages, graphics and programming solutions for web-based projects and initiatives.
1. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in a job related field of study; or three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience [required].
2. Experience with and ability to develop and follow change management procedures and guidelines.
3. Knowledge of and experience with web and portal development and best practices with a strong security awareness and focus [required].
4. Knowledge and/or applied skills and abilities in the following areas:
- Web concepts, "knowledge management" and "portal" concepts.
- Website visual design, layout, navigation and interactivity.
- Web programming skills according to current industry standards.
- Working knowledge and experience with web browser and related technologies, including but not limited to plug-ins and extensions and web graphics.
- Web security for web forms, applications and databases.
- Experience working with systems supporting cross-browser compatibility.
- Experience working with web content management system administration tools such as Contribute or other open source.
- Web application integration with custom and third-party tools CPIP or other integration tools.
- ColdFusion programming and server administration.
- MS-SQL and Oracle programming and database administration.
- Enterprise search engine administration.
- Page layout, graphic design principles, color theory and typography.
- Video streaming and compression techniques, tools and codecs.
- Use of digital SLR and software for use in graphic imagery, including creation and manipulation.
- Federal accessibility standards (508) and W3C code validation.
- Flash media server administration and Flash Action Script.
- PL/SQL, UNIX, LDAP, PERL, SSL, Shell Scripting, Active Directory and JAVA.
- Portal maintenance, upgrades, backups and configuration with products such as Luminis (familiarity with Banner is a plus).
- Web 2.0 and related technologies and systems.
- Other systems and languages such as: Microsoft IIs, SharePoint, SQL and Active Directory; External Authentication Service (EAS) integration, and Adobe and Macromedia products.
5. Work is performed in a typical computing environment, requiring walking, standing, lifting and bending for brief periods may be necessary. Irregular hours may be a regular requirement for this position in order to provide 24 hour on-call support for mission critical systems.
6. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
7. Acceptable eyesight (with/without correction aid).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to work with minimal supervision both independently and as a member of a team.
2. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
3. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients and the College community.
4. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
5. Strong troubleshooting skills and ability to effectively resolve or escalate issues to management or vendor support areas as necessary.
6. Ability to meet deadlines, ability to achieve and maintain expected productivity levels.
7. Ability and willingness to learn quickly.
8. Ability to write reports, documentation, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
9. Ability to learn new technologies, systems and software and adapt to change on an ongoing basis.
10. Ability to handle multiple assignments through prioritization and time management, and effectively document and communicate status of projects and issues to management and Information Technology personnel.
11. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
$36,050 - $60,900 per year
Minimum Physical Qualifications
Initial Work Schedule/Location:
PLEASE NOTE: There are two positions available on the West Campus.
Education & Experience:
Essential Job Functions:
1. Builds websites, user interfaces and web applications using various programming and scripting languages and tools.
2. Builds and administers back-end systems and databases for web and portal applications using various scripting and programming languages and an established programming framework.
3. Builds and supports web and portal integrations with custom and third-party products and systems.
4. Performs quality assurance testing on websites and web/portal applications.
5. Authors complex web pages.
6. Authors user-friendly page layouts and interfaces utilizing accepted design standards.
7. Responsible for image creation, manipulation and video editing.
8. Determines and recommends new web technologies to utilize, such as software applications, browsers, languages and plug-ins.
9. Conceptualizes, documents and makes recommendations regarding short and long-term needs of web and portal development.
10. Contributes to and utilizes departmental and industry accepted standards for maintaining the security and protection of college web and portal applications.
11. Supports, implements and administers web and portal systems; including business continuity planning, testing and support to ensure all systems are backed up and can be restored in the event of a system failure or loss.
12. Administration of web server, reporting and statistics.
13. Troubleshoots existing web applications and websites to resolve issues in a timely fashion.
14. Storyboards new websites, web and portal applications and creation of detailed design specifications.
15. Responsible for facilitating design meetings to solicit website and application design requirements from key stakeholders and to create clear written documentation and design specifications.
16. Continuously updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks and participating in professional organizations.
17. Serves as liaison to College offices, committees and Information Technology personnel as required.
18. Other duties as assigned.
Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations:
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
PLEASE NOTE: There are two positions available on the West Campus.
For consideration, the following is required: only (1) completed on-line Valencia College employment application is needed, a resume and a cover letter.
During the online application process, you will be required to provide a response to specific questions to complete the application process.
All letters of reference must be attached at the time of application.
The size of your documents must be less than 2 MB in MS Word or PDF format.
Valencia College - 13 months ago