Reports To : Manager, Systems Engineering, Linux
Department: Information Technology
Office Location : Charles Town, WV or Columbia, MD
FLSA Status : Exempt
Date Posted : January 11, 2013
Date Closing : Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Web Applications Java/Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) Developer will be responsible for making and maintaining scalable modifications and enhancements to Sakai, the American Public University System’s (APUS) Learning Management System (LMS). Sakai is a large Java-based system, with components from many universities. This position will work closely with Systems Analysts to design, document, and develop enhancements that meet end-user requirements while adhering to a strict change management process. Projects may include custom integrations with third-party applications and/or new customizations.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Obtains deep understanding of the University's development environment including the applications and interdependencies of those applications.
- Helps determine how specific technology can be applied to meet the business needs as determined by the Senior Application Architect and the Enterprise Architecture Team.
- Integrates and customizes tools into the Sakai environment.
- Develops custom tools and applications based on key requirements.
- Writes detailed specifications and code; completes programming, testing and debugging of applications.
- Conducts analysis, design, programming, and modifications of software applications and customer applications.
- Develops and/or supports integrations from other core systems.
- Works closely with internal and external customers to serve as a Sakai expert.
- Monitors and maintains application security.
- Identifies and resolves root causes of issues and provides tier 3 support to internal and external customers.
- Researches trends and methodology to improve the University’s application.
- Develops solutions and contributes code as assigned.
- Adheres to and promotes compliance with company build, configuration management, and data security policies and procedures, both individually and for developers and other Information Technology (IT) personnel.
- Participates in Change Control Process as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV or Columbia, MD.
- Ability to lift boxes up to 50 lbs.
- Core coverage hours of support are Monday- Friday 8:00am-5:00pm; some on call duties may be required.
- Strong initiative and ability to work with limited supervision and/or without direct supervision from remote locations.
- Must be flexible enough to meet the demands of a fluid and changing environment.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop new skills to maintain technical currency.
- Ability to work independently and as team.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Methodical, organized, and detail-oriented.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively within a team to solve problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Minimum two years’ of professional experience with high volume applications.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, applications including, but not limited to, the following:
- Web Development technologies: JavaServer Faces (JSF), Reasonable Server Faces (RSF), JavaServer Pages (JSP), Extensible Markup Language (XML), HyperText Markup Language (HTML), Extensible HyperText Markup Langauge (XHTML), Facelets, Spring, Velocity, Wicket, Tapestry, JUnit, and JQuery.
- Servlet/Java Enterprise Edition (JEE) Containers: Tomcat.
- Build tools: Maven, Subversion, Git, and Eclipse.
- Databases: MySQL, Hibernate, Java Database Connectivity (JDBC), Tungsten LINUX/UNIX, and Windows operating systems.
- Experience with Sakai preferred.
- Strong MySQL and LINUX skills required.
- Experience with Apache Tomcat preferred.
- Experience working in a Higher Education environment preferred.
- Strong understanding and experience executing several software development methodologies and life cycles.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with Adobe CQ5 preferred.
- High availability, scalability, and performance optimization experience (e.g. distributed deployments, HTTP traffic Load balancing, content caching, Principal-Mirror database replication, and sharding).
- Identity and access management experience (e.g. Active Directory, Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS), Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), OpenID, oAuth, and Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML)).
American Public University System - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard