Con-way Freight is the premier provider of reliable, regional, inter-regional and nationwide LTL service to customers large and small across our integrated, single North American network of LTL operating locations.
In 2007, Fortune Magazine named Con-way the "Most Admired Company" in the transportation and logistics industry. At Con-way, you will work alongside a top caliber management team that not only understands the transportation industry but the importance of utilizing and developing top talent. If you are looking to build a solid and long-lasting career where you will be recognized and rewarded for your hard work, look to Con-way. Apply today and find out why thousands of people have made Con-way their employer of choice!
The Supervisor of W&I will be the direct supervisor for all Freight Classification Specialists (FCS) at their assigned service centers. They will conduct daily performance reviews to identify the quality of the inspection process and goal attainment of all assigned FCS’s. They will address disciplinary issues which may include recommendation for termination to the Human Relations Department. The Supervisor of W&I will establish scheduled work hours for all assigned Freight Classification Specialists. The Supervisor of W&I will ensure Con-way Freight and departmental policies and procedures are followed by all their assigned personnel.
Supervisors of W&I will be required to conduct on-site initial training of newly hired Freight Classification Specialist. This will include ensuring Part 1 and 2 of the employee personnel file has been completed by domicile service center management. Follow-up and continuing training on-site to increase FCS proficiency and performance will be conducted on a regular basis as determined by the Manager of W&I.
The Supervisor of W&I will review audit performance of their assigned FCS’s for identified discrepancies and errors in the inspection and correction process. Results of audit will be provided in writing to the Manager of W&I and verbally communicated to the FCS within 3 days of the completion of the audit. They will provide mentoring and training to the FCS to decrease exceptions and improve audit compliance. Within the appeals process, Supervisors of W&I will provide verbal and written feedback (both positive and negative) to the FCS in relation to the final determination of an appeal. A response to appeals will be provided to the requestor within 48 hours of receipt of the appeal.
In relation to the Reweigh program, the Supervisors of W&I will provide reporting to service center personnel to improve Reweigh performance. They will identify DSRs that repeatedly cause errors in the reweigh process and work with Managers and Freight Operations Supervisors to correct the defects. Supervisors of W&I will review the Reweigh Exception queue daily to ensure manual reweighs are processed in a timely manner. When conducting a service center visit, Supervisors of W&I will review the Daily Forklift Inspection sheet and match against Business Analytic reporting to ensure scales are being tested daily for accuracy and are physically in working order. Supervisors of W&I will report on identified maintenance and performance issues within the region to the Director of Operations.
The Supervisor of W&I will identify repetitive billing errors specifically based on Inspection correction Bill Entry reason type. They will review the errors, determine the cause, and contact the responsible employee and their manager to provide feedback and accountability. The Supervisor of W&I will provide NMFC updates to Service Center personnel to help them update and maintain CSBOL information specific to NMFC Classification changes.
The Supervisor of W&I will use the Accurate Invoice Management (AIM) process to improve the descriptions on Bills of Lading from our customers. They will conduct joint customer visits and coordinate directly with Account Executives to ensure accurate information is obtained on Bills of Lading and Requests for Pricing. They will utilize problem solving skills and ‘SPIN’ selling techniques in order to ensure a positive experience for our customers. Upon a request from the Pricing Department, the Supervisor of W&I will respond with description information including classification of commodities for RFP’s. This will not include profiling of shipments.
Description of Essential Job Functions:
Additional Information: Travel Percentage: 50%
- Supervise Freight Classification Specialists
- Provide performance reporting on other employees performing W&I functions at assigned service centers.
- Collaborate and provide accountability to Account Executives on Requests for Pricing and customer commodity information ensuring the information provided by the AE is accurate.
- Perform customer visits to advise on proper Bill of Lading information, instruct on Ebill, EDI, and web registration information.
- Instruct W&I / CSR staff on proper use of NMFC classification, rules and CLASSIT.
- Prepare reports and statistical information on W&I errors for Service Center use and analysis.
- Provide accountability of W&I process and entry.
- Supervise Inspection corrections at service center level and work to reduce total number of corrections by working directly with billers, sales and customer.
- Review and audit shipment data for assigned locations or areas to determine customers with repetitive BOL errors.
- Manage workflow to maximize inspection efficiency and to reduce interruptions to Service Center freight flow.
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent industry experience to include skills and education.
- Two years of supervisory and/or W&I experience preferred.
- LTL industry knowledge and experience to include hazardous materials regulation, DOT rules and regulations preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of a work week.
- Prior sales experience a plus.
- Demonstrate leadership, communication and administrative skills.
- Ability to work various hours / shifts, including day and evening shifts.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Internet.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks while positively motivating, coaching and communicating clear instructions to others.
- Organized, detail-oriented, dependable and persistent.
- Ability to work independently.
- Able to lift 50 pounds on a frequent basis.
- Able to climb and manipulate stairs, ladders and obstacles.
- Able to bend and stoop at the waist for data collection.
- Able to stand and/or sit for long periods.
- Able to use and manipulate the tools of the trade, e.g. tape measures, cameras and handheld devices
- Valid driver’s license.
Monster - 18 months ago
Con-way Inc. is a freight transportation and logistics services company headquartered in Ann Arbor, Mich. Con-way delivers industry-leading...