Must bring to the position a strong customer service background with significant experience. Needs to be a self-starter, detail oriented, with strength in planning, organization, prioritizing and follow through. Must possess professional written, verbal communication and human relation skills. The position requires being able to effectively deal with the general public and membership as well as other staff members. Must have basic typing and computer skills. Background in communications and marketing is helpful. Must hold current CPR and first aid certifications, be able to stand for a 6-hour period and lift up to 40 lbs.
Under the direction of the Welcome Center Supervisor, the Welcome Center representative will assist members in the combined area of the front desk and membership which make up the Welcome Center.
Essential Functions Of Job
• Incorporate and Model our YMCA Christian principles into your work
• Commit to establishing long-term relationships with staff, volunteers, participants, members and families
• Visual and auditory-ability to respond to critical incidents and have the physical ability to act swiftly in emergencies.
• Provide information to members and guest in clear, concise manner.
• Ability to establish and maintain productive relationships with members and staff, exercise discretion and diplomacy, and follow directions, but is able to make judgments independently of supervisor.
• Be able to operate and reconcile a cash register.
• Ability to stand or sit at a computer terminal for up to 6 hours and lift up to 40lbs.
• Process guest and day passes and AWAY members using the proper waivers forms.
• Possess strong verbal and written communications skills with ability to effectively communicate to a diverse population in a friendly, enthusiastic manner even under potentially confrontational situations to achieve a successful outcome.
• Ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently.
• Good problem solving skills, flexible and able to adapt easily to a changing environment.
• Ability to mentally and physically deal with high stress situations and work well under pressure.
• Possess necessary skills to audit and reconcile member’s payment history.
1. Administration: Keep supervisor informed of low supplies such as tape, staples, pencils and forms
Keep files in an orderly fashion and well marked. Make sure member update forms
and daily/guest passes are filled out accurately and filed in the proper place. Provide prospective
members with information on membership benefits, including program specifics and facility tour.
Complete member cancellations, “membership-on-holds” and other up-date documents as needed.
2. Customer Service: Greet members and guest in a friendly, welcoming manner. Engage all persons with a smile, hello, or wave within the first 30 seconds of entering the facility. Learn member’s names and program preferences. Answer phone in a friendly and professional manor. Follow proper procedure for all program registration, new member sign-up, picture taking, distribution of guest passes, cancellations, membership on hold, financial assistance and all other transactions relating membership sign–up and retention.
3. Availability: Substitute when necessary.
4. Membership Retention Duties: Follow branch plan, including but not limited to knowing
names of members, proper member orientation, assisting members with programs information, and follow-up with suggestion forms in assigned areas. Be prepared to “WOW” members with ongoing excellent attention. Prepare and expedite special membership functions. Posses leadership skills to be able to move members from a casual to committed relationship.
5. Fiscal Management: Accurately operates cash register. Check to make sure members cards and guest passes are current and legitimate. Ensure that all persons check in at Front Desk with appropriate identification.
6. Financial Development: Identify and recruit members and general public to work as campaigners and leadership.
7. Attend: All scheduled meetings
8. Marketing, Promotion, and Public Relations: Duties as assigned in service area. Promote membership specials and special events. Represent the YMCA in a positive manner.
9. Perform: All other tasks as assigned.
How to Apply
Send completed Employment Application to:
Beaverton Hoop YMCA
9685 SW Harvest Court
Beaverton, OR 97005