A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen Inc. is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world's most significant basins, including the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the Gulf of Mexico and Western Canada. We're strategically focused on three businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas .
Nexen is big enough to provide you with boundless career opportunities, and small enough so you get recognized for your work. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package and a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
Why work for Nexen in the Gulf of Mexico?
Because we’re bringing new energy to Houston.
Nexen is one of the top leaseholders in the Gulf and we’re moving forward with more exploration and appraisal. On the rigs and in the office, our people work in teams to support each other. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package, a healthy work-life balance and training that will open doors to your future.
The Well Data Analyst is responsible for delivering data management services to the Gulf of Mexico business units and maintaining Nexen internal and external data repositories. Responsible for data loading, data migration, data manipulation, data clean up, naming standards, archiving and supporting the Exploration and Development organisations.
- Respond to Well Data Management needs of the business across the Nexen US office (Gulf of Mexico business units);
- Work with the Data Management team, Geoscientists, Petrophysicists, Engineers and other Geoscience support personnel to ensure that data is received in industry-standard formats and stored according to internal policies;
- Source and load Geological, Geophysical and Petrophysical data and reports;
- Support implementation and maintenance of well and logs data management procedures and standards including the governance model, following standards and practices agreed and put in place within the global organization;
- Support the development of a standardized approach to Well and Logs Data Management across the US region;
- Follow and maintain the naming and storing standards for well headers and log data in the Nexen databases;
- Recognize data quality issues and provide solutions (e.g. value ranges, unit verification, etc.);
- Full life-cycle support and management of Openworks, Petrel, Geolog and iPoint well data/projects (including data loading) and interfacing to the IT groups for the support and development of the Data Management infrastructure;
- Transfer data, understanding proper storage requirements of data in Nexen repositories;
- Ability to trouble shoot and support G&G data in various databases and applications;
- Maintain, verify, correct and update well header information in the technical databases and applications;
- Contribute to TDM Project activities in conjunction with the Well Technical Lead as required;
- Work closely with the IT Ops group, Technical Records and Information Management teams as required to perform satisfactory service delivery to the business users;
- Work closely with Tech Applications and GIS Services team to support the Technical Systems service delivery.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Geosciences, Engineering, IT or closely related discipline, or a minimum of 5 years of related well or log data management;
- Strong computer literacy, including the use of personal computers and related software for well data loading, analysis and data management is also required;
- Should have a working knowledge of computer applications and a strong comprehension of technical concepts;
- Should have some skill in or knowledge of acquiring, assimilating and managing data, computer mapping and solving complex problems involving computer systems and data;
- Must be efficient and able to meet deadlines while managing multiple assigned projects, as well as be able to work independently and in a team environment;
- Must have the desire to learn new tasks and applications.
The following knowledge and experience is preferred:
Software Application Experience:
- Exploration and Production data knowledge and hands on working experience in particular well data: Headers and attributes, Directional surveys and position logs, Checkshots, Logs (raw + interpretation), Pressure data, Paleo data;
- Knowledge of Exploration and Development processes and lifecycle;
- Experience with OpenWorks is mandatory;
- Experience with Schlumberger Petrel, Perigon iPoint and Esri ArcGIS is a benefit;
- Working knowledge of map projections, datums, and transformations; must be able to verify data accuracy;
- Training or experience with E&P industry data sources and repositories;
- Experience or understanding of PPDM and Landmark data models and relational databases in general;
- Good understanding and experience in UNIX/LINUX and Windows operating systems;
- Understanding of Geoscience application architecture and basic IT principles including system hardware, application architecture, environment and change management;
- Good skills on shell scripting using AWK, SED and SQL;
- Related E&P experience, preferably at the well data management, technical applications support and/or Geoscience/Engineering support required;
- Ability to clearly translate technical discussions to business application;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to demonstrate excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills;
- High standards of excellence and attention to detail;
- Highly flexible and adaptable.
Software Product Experience:
- Landmark OpenWorks – required
- NeuraDB PPDM
- Perigon iPoint
- Schlumberger Petrel
- Esri ArcGIS
- Trango Well Manager
- Tibco OpenSpirit
- Lexco OWL
- IHS Enerdeq Browser
- Petroweb Navigator
Who May Apply
Only applicants who are authorized to work in the US, without company sponsorship, on a full-time, permanent basis will be considered.
Applicants who are authorized to work in the US indefinitely without company sponsorship will be given first consideration .
Click the "Apply Now" button to start the application process.
Nexen Petroleum U.S.A. Inc. is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer / Principals Only / No phone calls or emails please.
Only resumes of candidates being considered will be acknowledged.
If you do not have access to the Internet or need accommodation submitting your resume, you may fax your resume toll-free to 1-888-435-0955 or mail your resume to:
Nexen Petroleum U.S.A. Inc.
945 Bunker Hill, Suite 1400
Houston, TX 77024
Nexen Inc. - 23 months ago
Nexen Inc. (TSX: NXY, NYSE: NXY) is an energy company based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Nexen has interests in Yemen, Canada (including the...