Administers prescribed medications, including IV push medications and hanging blood and/or plasma, and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques.
Prepares equipment and aids physician during treatments and patient examinations.
Observes patient, records significant conditions and reactions and notifies supervisor or physician of patient’s condition and reaction to drugs, treatments and significant incidents.
Takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal and assess condition of patient.
May rotate among various clinical services of hospital.
May prepare rooms, equipment and supplies and hand items to physician.
Responsible for ensuring that beds are made and patients are fed and bathed.
May serve as leader for group of personnel rendering nursing care to a number of patients.
Responsible for the accurate accounting of narcotics at the end of each shift.
May make appropriate interventions per established protocol in life-threatening situations until physician is available.
Communicates relevant data to RN/Charge Nurse.
Assesses and documents accurately on all patients on his/her team, including new admissions and discharges.
Enters vital statistics and medical information into computer.
Assists in training and/or orienting new department personnel.
Maintains confidentiality. Performs duties with honesty, fairness, ethics and good corporate citizenship to ensure corporate compliance.
EXPERIENCE: Experience preferred
EDUCATION: ASN/BSN in nursing
LICENSURE: Indiana RN license; CPR certification
- Use common sense and special medical skills to care for the sick or handicapped.
- Understand technical information from a variety of sources.
- Use eyes, hands and fingers with skill.
- Work fast and efficiently in an emergency.
- Communicate with people when they are sick, handicapped or nervous.
- Change from one duty to another frequently.
- Follow instructions exactly.
- Record information completely and accurately.