The Assistant Director of Financial Aid at Wheelock College is responsible for awarding financial aid funds using federal needs analysis methodology. He or she manages a caseload of approximately 600 students. The Assistant Director advises students and families about financial aid, loans and alternative means of educational financing. A successful candidate will possess critical thinking skills, promote a positive work environment within the financial aid office, with other departments within the college and externally with outside agencies and will also have an appreciation for working with diverse populations. The Assistant Director will perform a specialist role providing oversight and management for an internal or external program such as overseeing student employment, alternative loan programs or state scholarship programs. This position will also participate in all events requiring a Financial Aid presence such as Accepted Students Day, Open Houses, Financial Aid Workshops, etc., and will occasionally require weekend and/or evening work.
Additional responsibilities include the following:
- Evaluate cases which may include divorced or separated parents, businesses, or other individual situations.
- Evaluate changes in financial circumstances including loss of a job or other financial reversals.
- Exercise professional judgment for individual cases in the awarding of federal,
state and institutional funds.
- Prepare reports related to the assigned role such as Massachusetts year-end reconciliation, work-study reconciliation, etc.
- Ensure regulatory compliance in the awarding of aid.
- Contribute to the development of policies and procedures.
- Review and approve requests for student account refunds
- Other related duties as needed.
-A Bachelor's degree is required.
-2-4 years direct financial aid experience required.
-Experience with awarding of financial aid strongly preferred.
-Strong knowledge of federal need analysis required.
-Strong analytical and organizational skills required.
-Knowledge of federal and state aid regulations and policies preferred.
-Experience working with Powerfaids is strongly preferred.
-Strong customer service, counseling, written and verbal communication skills necessary.
-Ability to work effectively with other departments within the college.
-Must be able to work independently and within a team.
Wheelock is a diverse community devoted to promoting and acceptance of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender, or physical ability. Each employee, regardless of position, is thus expected to support actively the College's commitment to such diversity by displaying a positive attitude toward and acceptance of all employees and students regardless of such differences.
Wheelock College is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer
Please apply on-line.
No phone calls or email please.