Wheelock College, Boston, MA is accepting applications for the position of full-time Director of Athletics. Wheelock College currently has 120 Men’s and Women’s Division III athletes participating in 5 sports teams for men and 6 sports teams for women.
This position advises, recommends and reports to the Dean of Students with budget and policy oversight by the Vice President for Campus Life and Information Services.
The Director of Athletics provides administrative direction and oversight for all intercollegiate, intramural and recreational athletics staff, programs, facilities and activities and is responsible for the leadership and vision of an active intercollegiate athletic program. The Director will work directly with the Office of Enrollment services to ensure that an integrated athletic recruitment effort is developed, communicated and supported at all levels of the institution.
The Director ensures the College’s knowledge and compliance with all rules and regulations of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and supervises a staff of full and part-time coaches, professional athletic staff, interns, and student workers.
The Director of Athletics also supervises agreement and contract negotiations with other area schools and colleges for shared field and facility management.
The ideal candidate will possess exceptional leadership skills and a participatory management style with strong ability to coach and mentor staff and collaborate effectively with both on and off campus constituencies. Strong interpersonal communication and team-building skills are essential. Candidates will be experienced planners and be willing to use data collection effectively for future planning and decision-making. The Athletic Director will be an active participant in the continuing strategic planning process for the college in discussion and implementation.
• Provide leadership and sound decision-making with regard to all athletic department matters, including fiscal affairs, personnel, strategic planning, facilities, public relations, and general operations.
• Provides leadership to ensure that the Department of Athletics has a highly competent and diverse coaching, administrative, and support staff consistent with the mission of Wheelock College. In addition, the Athletic Director is responsible for supervision of coaches and athletic department personnel.
• Provides leadership that adheres to the highest standards of integrity in academic, financial, and business matters, as well as NCAA rules and regulations
• Provides leadership in coordination with student administrative offices and the Office of Enrollment Management on the recruitment and retention of student athletes.
• Maintains appropriate athletic department policies, procedures, and practices, and ensuring consistency with all College policies, and other regulations that govern the College, NCAA rules and certification requirements, and all state and federal laws, including Title IX.
• Ensures an environment that promotes student-athlete health and welfare and a commitment to strong academic values.
• Maintains active participation in College, conference, and NCAA planning systems and professional development opportunities.
• Posses an understanding of and commitment to the NCAA’s primary purpose of maintaining intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the educational program and the athlete as an integral part of the student body
• Provides leadership to sustain a strong commitment to an inclusive environment and diversity and that serves the needs of student-athletes, coaches, staff, and the public.
• Ensures opportunities for community involvement, partnerships, and service initiatives as part of the program.
• Represents the athletic department and Wheelock College to external constituents, including supporting the athletics and promotion of the entire College.
• Possess an understanding of contemporary issues in athletic administration
• Posses the vision to help guide student success and the student-athlete experience as part of the athletic program
• Frequent nights and weekend work and in-season travel required.
o A master’s degree or equivalency, at least five years of progressive and highly relevant experience, with two or more years of experience as an Athletic Director preferred
o Direct involvement in development and oversight of an athletic recruitment strategy
o Experience coaching at the NCAA Division III level or higher
o A demonstration of commitment to inclusion, community, diversity, and gender equity
o Strong interpersonal and communication skills
o Strong technology skills including Microsoft Office and all relevant software needed to operate a successful athletic department
Commitment to Diversity
Wheelock is a diverse community devoted to promoting and acceptance of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, or physical ability. Each employee, regardless of position, is thus expected to support actively the College's commitment to such diversity by displaying a positive attitude toward and acceptance of all employees and students regardless of such differences.
Wheelock College is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer
Wheelock College - 22 months ago