All applicants are required to review the job description prior to applying. Click here to review Staff Copy Editor / Staff Photographer / Staff Writer
Student employees must maintain enrollment of six (6) NMC credits during fall and spring semesters, and a minimum of three (3) NMC credit during summer semester to be eligible for student employment.
Position Title: White Pine Press Student Employee
Department: White Pine Press
Reports To: White Pine Press Faculty Advisor
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
The Staff Writer is a general assignment reporter position that involves news coverage of the NMC campus, NMC board meetings, and human-interest stories on campus and within the greater Traverse City area. Photography can also be a component of this position. The Staff Writer will be expected to conduct 3-4 interviews per assignment, draft and edit 600-800 words utilizing Associated Press (AP) style, designate photo opportunities to photographers, assign pull-out quotes, work with designers on creation of charts/graphs and submit their article for editing. The Staff Writer can expect to be schedule on average six hours per issue.
The Staff Photographer position utilizes still-photography and videography. Equipment for both is provided. The Staff Photographer will be responsible for head-shots and action shots (news and sports.) The Staff Photographer is also responsible for gathering information to be used for photo captions, as well as editing photos for size and content, and posting to the website: www.whitepinepress.org. The Staff Photographer can expect to be scheduled five hours per issue.
Staff Copy Editor
A Staff Copy Editor is an editing position that involves proof-reading and fact-checking articles, captions, headlines, alternatively formatted stories from current WPP colleagues. Writing of headlines and news stories can also be a component of this position. The Staff Copy Editor can expect to be scheduled on average at least 10-15 hours per issue.
The White Pine Press employees strive to be professional in attitude and accomplishments and abide by the Student Journalist’s Code of Ethics as set out by the Associated Collegiate Press Association.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATES and LICENSES
- To be eligible for student employment in a semester, the student must be enrolled half time during that semester (minimum NMC academic credits: 6 for fall; 6 for spring; 3 for summer)
- High School Diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Be in good academic standing
- Have no record of academic dishonesty or plagiarism
- Have completed, with a 2.0 or higher, the following NMC courses (or equivalent): ART 171 (Photo 1 Lecture/Lab); ART 175 (Digital Photography I)
- Have completed, with a 3.0 or higher, the following NMC courses (or their equivalents): ENG 111 (English Composition), ENG 112 (English Composition), and ENG 224 (Journalism Fundamentals).
- Previous journalism experience (collegiate or high school newspaper, journalism internship, etc.)
This is a part-time, NMC student position.
For questions or assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 231-995-1377.
Northwestern Michigan College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Northwestern Michigan College - 11 months ago